STDs Community
Azithromycin for gonorrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Azithromycin for gonorrhea

Im female, I tested positive for gonorrhea as well as BV. I received treatment on Dec 16th, I took 2g of azithromycin and started metro for the BV. I'm still having a lot of discharge. If the azithromycin doesnt work, which I dont think it is, I'll have to wait 30 days to get tested again. Im so mad at myself and I feel hopeless. Im terrified of passing it somehow to my kids thru casual contact, Everything I read says a simple kiss could pass it. Im ready to pack my bags and leave home.

I have a history of penicillin allergy but it was as a baby. Im considering ordering Suprax online and trying that since the clinic wont give me the standard treatment.
Do not order medication online and self medicate, you could cause more damage then good. I don't know where you would read that you can transmit a STD from casual contact and/or kissing but that is 100% wrong. They have the name of a STD for a reason.

Often antibiotics can cause a yeast infection. And it can take a full 2 weeks for the medication to work. If you do not see improvement in symptoms by the 27th then follow up with your Dr.

Also make sure you use condoms all of the time until you and partner have been tested.
The nurse at the clinic said no sex, even with condoms for 30 days. But that also means 30 days plus the 10 days after my next test. I think she has little faith in the azithromycin as well.

If the azithromycin isnt going to work, I wont have much choice but self medicate. I could get on my knees and beg at the clinic but they still wont give me cefixime or ceftriaxome. They just keep telling me abstinence is best. I can't afford a doctor and I dont have health insurance... or hope now.
No sex for 7 days after medication is finished. And using condoms after that is best idea.

If you want to self medicate fine then do so but I have warned you and will stress again DO NOT SELF MEDICATE.

Your health is more important then money. Try Planned Parenthood. Call other Dr's office and see if they work on a sliding scale. If in America apply for medicaid.
discharge at this point is normal. give the medications time to work. has it been a full week of metrogel usage yet even?

odds are you won't have any issues getting a ceftriaxone shot even with a childhood history of pcn allergy.  call your local pharmacist and ask if they have literature you can provide to the clinic on this :)  

you absolutely will not transmit gonorrhea to your children!!!  we don't have that sort of contact with them!!!

has your partner been tested and treated for gonorrhea too?

grace
Thanks to both of you. I read a lot of these posts and you guys are so helpful.

I'm taking metronidazole 500mg for the BV for 7 days. I took the azithromycin on the evening of the 16th. I have to mention that today the discharge is almost nonexistant, whereas before it was obscene. My partner lives in another state, as soon as I received my results I told him to seek treatment.

I have another question. I missed my period which is very, very unusual. Could a missed period be due to the gonorrhea infection? My period is always early or right on time.
many things can cause a missed period. if it's more than a week late, take a home pregnancy test just to err on the side of caution.
Thanks Grace. I will, its probably stress. I have an IUD so Im sure Im not pregnant. I thought the infection may gum up my "works" so to speak.

I was looking at pics of STDs online ( btw I recommend this every time someone casually hooks up, its a mood killer ) and the discharge from the BV pics looks exactly like what I had, but I also have gonorrhea. The discharge is 99% better, but now I don't know if the absence of discharge is a good indication that the gonorrhea is gone. The 23rd of  Dec will be 7 days post treatment. The STD clinic won't test me again for 30 days, they are sooo archaic. Is 7 days post treatment too soon to test again?

Thanks again. You guys really are very reassuring.
The lessening of symptoms is a great sign. We recommend 3 weeks after medication to retest, maybe 2 weeks. Just because you can still have some of the bacteria in your system that might be picked up on the test even though you don't have the infection anymore. So testing at 30 days post diagnosis is just about in line. But you could probably get a 2 week test that would be ok.
Ahhh.... thats a light bulb moment! That makes so much sense, I'm reassured and I can relax, thank you. Good luck to everyone.