STDs Expert Forum
Bleeding During Intercourse...a symptom of an STD?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I am a female in my mid-20's. I have only had sexual intercourse with two people. I have been with my current boyfriend for 4-1/2 years, but we did take a break for about 6 months. Prior to our break, I received annual pap tests and STD tests. All came back negative. But during our break I dated a few guys (around Mar - May 2004), in which I gave unprotected oral sex to two of them.

I am very cautious about my sexual experiences with men, but I'm worried that I may have contracted an STD. I have always had menstral complications and over the past 3-4 years have experienced spot bleeding in between periods (I have not been on the pill since Mar 2004). But over the past 2-3 months, I have been experiencing bleeding during intercourse (bright red) about 50% of the time that my boyfriend and I have sex. It is only during intercourse and the bleeding stops after sex. This often happens within a week before my period or a week after. I am not having any pelvic pain or urination problems that are commonly associated with STD's and my boyfriend does not have any symptioms, so I want to know my risk factor of contracting an STD through oral sex. Being that it has been almost a year since I performed unprotected oral sex, is it possible that I'm just now showing signs of an STD? Or could my bleeding during intercourse be related to my abnormal mentral problems or something else?

I feel that it is almost impossible to have contracted an STD through oral sex that was given a year ago, but I don't know what else could be causing my bleeding during intercourse.  I'm very concerned!
My response to someone else with the same problems was pasted in, and it probably applies to you.  However, bleeding during sex, not after, is less common, and I wonder whether you have a blood vessel abnormality in your vagina or on your cervix, such as a hemangioma (a red "mole" that may be fragile).  It sounds like your STD risk is low.  However, if you had other sex partners during your "break", perhaps your boyfriend did as well, so chlamydia or gonorrhea is a definite possibility.  Getting a genital STD from oral sex is extremely rare.

Bottom line:  You need to see a health care provider.  If you don't have a regular doctor, consider Planned Parenthood or your local health department family planning clinic.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Here is the answer the doctor gave me. I finally got in to see my regular doctor and I was given the all clear. I noticed that I was pretty dry at the beginning of intercourse and that was my problem. When I took things a little slower there was no bleeding. But my bleeding was very faint (pink) and you said yours was bright red. You might want to get into see a doctor ASAP.

Bloody spotting after sex often is a sign of cervicitis, i.e. infection of the cervix. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are the main causes.

It could also be due to cervical ectopy, a normal condition (usually) seen in young women (under 20), those who take hormonal contraception, or pregnancy. In ectopy, the fragile tissues that normally line the cervical canal migrate to the surface of the cervix. Because those tissues are more fragile, bleeding sometimes occurs after sex. Ectopy and cervicitis often are related: cervicitis can cause an area of ectopy to be swollen and even more fragile; and ectopy can predispose to cervicitis. Because pregnancy can cause ectopy, the idea that you should have a pregnancy test is a good one.

Bottom line: You need to see a health care provider, preferably one who is knowledgable about STDs. You certainly need tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and perhaps a pregnancy test. DO NOT WAIT 2 WEEKS: complications such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) could occur at any time. You do not need to wait until your period has finished. If your own doctor is not immediately available, go to your local health department's family planning or STD clinic, or to Planned Parenthood. Also, don't have sex with anyone until this is sorted out.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Thank you for the information.

I am not having bleeding after intercourse though; only during.  Also, does anyone know how likely it is to contract an STD from oral sex? Thanks again!
Thank you HHH, MD! You've helped to ease my mind and I scheduled an appt with my doctor.