STDs Expert Forum
Brief Oral Exposure...Worried....

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Brief Oral Exposure...Worried....

I had a brief encounter with another man the other night that has me a little concerned. We were safe with everything, light kissing, mutual masturbation, but at one point he started to give me unprotected oral and that's what is causing the concern. It was at the most 2 seconds and it was only the head of my penis that he put in his mouth before I got nervous and pulled away. Should I be concerned about this from an STD standpoint?
Welcome to the Forum.  This was a low risk exposure.  Most people do not have STDs and of those who do, oral infections are uncommon.  In your specific case, the only activity with any risk for infection was your brief receipt of oral sex and the brevity of the exposure makes your risk lower still.  Unless you develop signs of urethritis (burning on urination or a penile discharge), I would not worry.  If you develop those signs, the most likely cause would be nongonococcal urethritis or, more rarely, gonorrhea which can easily be diagnosed with a swab (best)  or urine test.

I really would not worry if I were you. EWH
Thank you so much! It has eased my anxiety. Is there a specific timeframe I should look for symptoms? I read 2-5 days, does that make sense?
Is this the proper etiquette to ask a follow up question, by posting here?
Yes, you can ask a limited number of follow up questions but please remember, questions are not answered in real time and we may not get back to you for several hours.

Yes, if you were going to develop symptoms, I would expect this to occur within 3-5 days.  EWH
Thank you so much. So I was right in my original belief that I shouldn't be worried. Sometimes I ponder things and become irrational and worry needlessly.

I won't ask anymore questions after this. I don't want to take up too much if your time! I'm so appreciative as it is!
Glad I could help. Please do not worry. EWH
Thanks again for everything. Its nice to know I can move on from this!!
I'm so sorry, I do have one more question. I didn't think much of it, but I rimmed him briefly too. It was only for a few seconds and the tip of my tongue barely went in, maybe a little. Should I be concerned about this??
Please disregard my last question. I talked with him and he confirmed I did not rim him, just my tongue pressed on the outside but did not go in. I would imagine that's not a risk for anything since there were no visible sores or legions around the area? One thing I have tried to do is answer my questions based on answers you've given others.

Also, if I need to submit a new question for this please let me know. I don't want to take advantage.
there is no meaningful risk associated withthe activity (almost rimming) that you describe.  EWH
Once again thank you! I believe my issue may be more guilt and anxiety driven. I'm married and haven't been with another man in a long time. I really need to separate the guilt from the non risk of what I did. I recognize that yet sometimes let my irrational fears get the better of me.

Thanks again for everything!!
I'm not wrong in my belief I can move on right? I just want to make sure and then I will stop. I know I've been a pain.
If I need to pay again that's fine. I completely understand. I know I've asked a lot of questions.
Last answer- yes, you can move on.  EWH