STDs Expert Forum
Bumps and pimples in pubic area

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Bumps and pimples in pubic area

Dear Doctors,
About 5 days ago I found a pimple in my bubic area, that hurp and had puss inside. I tried to not touch it. In a couple of days it popped and some puss with blood came out. The pimple/bump did not go away. It swelled up again, and I repopped it, a little blood and puss came out. Afterwards, I found several red bumps in the pubic hair area above my penis. They are red, and some have hair that are starting to grow out of them. Some do not have hair. These bumps are different in size, and it doesn't seem that they all have puss. They do not hurt, burn or itch. It also doesn't look like they will all pop. There are no bumps or pimples on the penis. I had sex last week and this area got wet. There was also a lot of friction and sweat. I also sweat a lot. I'm very worried... Can these be herpes or warts? Or can these be sweat pimples or hair pimples. I currently have a cold sore on my lip. I get those frequently from chapped lips. Can these bumps and pimples occur from sweat or female discharge? Or does it sound like herpes or genitile warts?? Please help ASAP. Thank you very much... P.S. I some time pull my pubic hair out. Its a bad habbit. Can that be also be the cause? Thanks!!!
The pimples you describe do not sound like herpes or warts.  They sound like folliculitis which, as you suggest, is an infection of the hair follicles (the little pits that the hairs come out of).  They are more common in people who sweat a lot.  They usually get better with soap and water and washing with either a washcloth or a loofah sponge.

I do not know if pulling on your pubic hairs out contributes to folliculitis but it is not something that has any benefit to you.

Hope this helps. EWH
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your quick reply. I had sinle pimples before in my pubic area that popped with puss and blood, but never this many. Is it normal that these pimples have puss, and some are just red bumps with no puss? Is it common for herpes or warts to occur in areas other that the penis and vagina? I have to discharge while urinating and no other common simptoms of herpes. Thanks!
It is typical of folliculitis to have both pimples and red bumps at the same time.  Given time, some of the red bumps would become pimples.

The lesions you describe do not sound like herpes or warts.  You should be seen be a health care professional to relieve your concerns.  EWH
A related discussion, pimples in pubic area was started.
A related discussion, Blisters in pubic area was started.
hi doctor... few minutes ago when I walk and it hurts and i found like a ball the size of an m&m in the area it have puss and blood what could it be ? im very scared :S