STDs Expert Forum
Bumps in Genital Area

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Bumps in Genital Area

A little over a week ago and while on my period, I developed overnight a red tender sizeable bump on my right side labia.  The bump was swollen and didn't hurt but created discomfort in the area.  It almost appeared like an inflammed pimple but I didn't pay close attention at the time and don't remember if it had a white head or not.  After a few days, the bump popped and it bled but very faint in color.  Shortly thereafter, the bump crusted and it then healed.  It has been about a week and 2 days since the bump appeared and it has practically healed, but the area where the bump appeared is still hard to the touch.  The bump was itchy, particularly when it was healing.  More recently, about 4-5 days to be precise, I discovered a second very small bump on the same labia, but lower and closer to the vaginal area.  The bump doesn't resemble at all the first one. For one, the bump isn't inflammed and it hasn't turned red.  The bump also hasn't created any discomfort.  However, I have been observing the bump for the past few days and it has grown in size.  It's not as large as the first bump nor is it tender, but I am very concerned.  I had unprotected sex about 3-4 months ago and I am afraid that it may be an STD, like herpes, or worse yet a cancerous cyst or something of concern.  I have scheduled an appointment to see an ob-gyn but they can't see me for a couple of weeks and I am worried sick about what this may be.  Do you think I could be suffering of an STD?  Should I be concerned?  Thank you very much for your advice.
Your question is very similar to the one immediately before you from 'a scared woman'.  These bumps don't sound much like herpes.  As I told 'scared', herpes is the most common cause of genital ulcers (open sores) or superficial blisters or pimple-like lesions, but a rare cause of firm bumps. Herpes lesions are superficial; think of them as being 'on' the skin or mucous membranes; pimples, infected cysts, and the like are deeper--think of them as being 'in' the skin.)  Also, cancer does not cause lesions like this.  Almost certainly you have been having a localized infection like an infected cyst or mucus gland.  See a health care provider to be sure, but in the meantime, I see no reason to be concerned about herpes, cancer, or anything serious.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I seriously doubt it's anything like cancer, or anything serious.

I'm really only responding because I'm always amazed when people have to wait weeks to see their doctor. I've never, ever had that experience. If we have a problem, no matter how minimal, we can see our doctor that very day; if he doesn't have any openings, they'll work us in, we'll see whoever's on call, or we can go to their walk-in clinic. Granted, our doctors have always had big practices, but still. So, I'm curious--when you make these appointments, do you tell the receptionist you're having a problem, or do you just say that you need an appt? If the former, I'd look for a doctor who has more leeway in scheduling. If the latter, you probably have to just be a little more upfront and assertive, or find someone who has a different (better, friendlier) approach to patient care.

Good luck!