STDs Expert Forum
Burning Sensation

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Burning Sensation

I had an encounter with an escort where we had genital contact for 1-2 minutes but no vaginal penetration.  7-10 days later, I noticed a slight burning right before ejaculation during sex.  I now have a mild but persistent burning sensation at the tip of my penis.  It does not hurt to urinate--although the sensation is more noticeable right before I have to urinate.  I'm going to take an STD test this week.  I've had sex with my partner (female) twice since the encounter with escort.  What are the risks for transmission to my partner and what is the likelihood the burning sensation is an STD in this instance.
It is conceivable that you have urethritis, such as chlamydial infection or nongonococcal urethritis.  But it is equally likely that you do not, that something else entirely is causing the symtom.  If you're not having abnormal urethral discharge, most likely it's not an STD of any sort.  But the only way to know is to get examined by an STD-knowledgeable provider.  It sounds like you are planning to do that.  The best source, if you are in the US, probably is your local health department STD clinic.  (Do not use an anonymous testing service.  You need a physical exam by a knowledgeable provider.  The tests by anonymous testing services will not tell whether you have nonchlamydial NGU, for example.)

By bet is that nothing abnormal will be found.  But do check it out to be safe.  Of course if you have an STD, your partner will need to be examined and treated.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
How long does it take a man to contract an STD and feel the burning when he urinates.