STDs Community
Burning sensation and rash after unprotected oral sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

3 weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex with a woman I didn't know very well. After a day I started feeling mild burning sensation in the urinary tract. There was no discharge, no lesions. I visited a doctor the next day, explained my case and he told me it was probably nothing. The burning continued and I visited another doctor. He did tests which all came back negative for any STD - urine and microbiology tests. He thought it was some kind of an UTI and prescribed me augmentin for treatment. After a week on this antibiotic I didn't feel much better, although the symptoms were changing - somewhat less burning, showing up in the morning after I wake up. He suggested I also visit urologist. The urologist examined my prostate and it was inflated. At that time a rash was visible on the head of  the penis, slightly burning. He also did some other tests - utero plasma - which came negative for all other bacteria tested. He prescribed me roxithromycin for 5 days. Now the symptoms are mostly gone. The rash isn't visible but the head is still irritated. For example when washing with soap I can feel stinging sensation. Also the feeling is not burning but more of a warm sensation. The urologist told me that the rash was because of the prostate infection. The burning inside the tract is mostly gone I think. The problem is if I feel it it's not very noticeable and I can't really tell if it's completely gone.

I've read many threads about related conditions but I still don't know what could be wrong with me. I have an appointment with the urologist in 2 days for a control check up. I would be very grateful for any comment on my issue since I'm starting to freak out if there's something serious. Although the doctor excluded a possible STD I am still afraid of anything long term.

Thank you in advance.
I also forgot to mention that we had vaginal sex but it was protected. After the act I even checked the condom and it was OK so that probably rules out most STDs
Hi peter_g,

Unprotected oral sex carries low risk of STD transmission. And, you had protected vaginal sex. Great job, protected sex protects you from HIV and almost all STDs.

I can see that you have seen few doctors for your symptoms. You are definitely under great care. Trust your doctors. They know what they are doing. Generally, when you feel better about your symptoms, that means the treatments are working. A cured condition will not have any long term problems.

Thanks.
Thank you for your quick reply. It made me feel a lot better, since I was starting to freak out. I am consulting the doctors twice a week and hoping that their treatment and diagnosis are OK.
But it really is worrying that I have something which is hard to diagnose. STD tests came back negative and still I am having symptoms. I don't know how that will sound but I would've been more calm if they actually found an STD so I know what is causing all my symptoms and know that they are taken care of.

Describing my symptoms and the way I got to them what would your guess  for an infection be? I really need more light on this issue so not to be worried about something serious.

Thanks in advance.
Peter,

You might be surprised if I tell you that symptoms can be mind tricks. But they do. Be happy that all the STDs tests results come back negative. Or, shall I say be grateful?

You did the correct things, by having protected sex and going to the doctors for symptoms that concern you. I'm sure your doctors will be able to help you. At the meantime, relax. Really. You are STD-free. I have a feeling once you relax, your symptoms might be gone.

One tip in the future, get full protected sex including oral sex (or course change a new one for genital sex or anal sex). That way, you will no need to concern on sexual exposures.
Thank you again for your reply. I have stopped worrying so much, since the symptoms are fading away. I don't feel burning and the rash is gone, except for this small reddish (no more than 3mm) area near the opening tract.
Could you say that all the symptoms were because of some contamination and not a STD? I know the risk of having unprotected oral sex is mostly because these kind of infections and not really a STD.

And for anyone with the same case who's worrying here's a brief description on the case and the symptoms:

Timeline:

- Burning inside the tract one day after unprotected oral sex
- 10 days after the act a red rash on the head of the penis. No itching first but itches after it fades away week later. Burning sensation still present.
- 3 weeks after the act - rash 99% gone. no burning sensation inside the tract

Tests made:

- urine - clean
- culture - clean
- utero plasma - clean
- consultation with venereologist - no herpes

Medications used:

- 1st week - augmentin (amoxicillin) for 7 days
- 2nd week after still present symptoms - roxithromycin for 5 days
- potassium permanganate for disinfection for the rash

Other info:

- no discharge
- no lesions
- no other symptoms
more likely the rash is irritation or a fungal infection than it is std related.

following up with the urologist is the best course of action but sounds like the antibiotics cleared up your prostatitis.

grace
The symptoms haven't gone completely. Although the rash is gone I still feel some weird sensations inside the tract. When I'm not sitting, doing something, I don't feel anything, but when I sit I feel some burning and pinching on the tip. The pinching is strong. I can't say it's painful or not bearable, but there definitely is something. Still the sensations are kind of weak so I'm not sure what's really going on there. They are different from the first days though.
Not sure what to do now. There is nothing the tests could find. Please give me some advice on how to deal with this based on my symptoms and medications I took. Thank you.
following up with the urologist for this is best.
I went to the urologist today. He examined everything again. Said all is normal except some urine left overs. Not sure how to explain it in English. Basically after urination around 9ml of urine is still left there. He said could be inflammation but also it can be seen in a healthy person. Since everything else was ok he didn't prescribe me any more antibiotics. Just some herbal medication. But I am still feeling some symptoms on the tip of the penis. The problem is there isn't anything on the tests so the doctors don't know what to treat. That why I'm posting here if anyone could know what this can possibly be and if it's something I should worry about. Keep in mind that before this risky encounter 3 weeks ago I didn't have anything wrong. Never complained from urinary tract infections and never had STDs.
Thanks again. Hope we can find what this is.
at this point not a lot more you can do. follow up with the urologist again in a month if symptoms are still there. continue to drink plenty of fluids to keep your system flushed. try to keep busy so that you aren't thinking about your nether regions as often. also try not to sit for long periods of time - keep moving so you aren't putting additional pressure on the pelvic area. avoiding alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods is also sometimes helpful too until symptoms are gone.
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll have to wait now. I visited my GP with all the tests and the results done in the previous weeks. He also said to me the same thing. If there's a change in my condition or something new comes up with my follow ups I will update this thread.
Of course I did some research myself on the internet. There are a lot of cases just like mine - negative std tests, still burning, most got them after similar experience as mine. I am curious as to why this hasn't been diagnosed yet?
If we knoew that answer then you would have a diagnosis.
Alright, so it's been 5 weeks since the risky encounter and the burning. I visited a new urologist on Wednesday still with minor symptoms. He did a complete check up and found nothing wrong. For the last days I think the symptoms have disappeared completely. I've been suffering with a serious anxiety for the last month because of this and I think there's a possibility that I might have exaggerated some of the symptoms. I also went through a lot of forum posts similar to my condition and they were all scary. I think I'm OK now but I'm planning to do some more tests for my comfort. Will keep you updated if something new shows up. Thank you all for the cooperation.
genitally focused anxiety is common around here :(  Amazing what your mind can convince you is going on as well as just sitting more often and spending time combing through posts /info online adds extra pressure to the pelvic area too which can add to it.

glad you are feeling better :)
Finally figured it out. Can't believe 4 different doctors - 2 venereologists and 2 urologists - couldn't diagnosed me with this.
So I visited a fifth doctor today. Explained to him all my story. He immediately said I had NGU and with all that treatment with antibiotics I had fungal infection. So that explains the rash. Burning is gone now. Since almost 3 weeks I don't feel my urethra irritated. The last urologist also did complete check and said my prostate is OK. So now I'm on medication for the fungal and should be all cleared up in a week. I am really relieved. No more anxiety. Thank you all for the good replies!
my eyes read venereologists as werewolfologists the first time....lol   was looking through the wrong part of my glasses I guess.  

fungal infections after antibiotics are quite common. give the antifungal meds a week or so to work - sometimes they will take that long.