STDs Community
Burning sensation in urethra.

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Burning sensation in urethra.

About six weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex with a friend of mine. We both performed oral sex on one another. About 5 days later I noticed a burning sensation on the tip of my penis and burining on the inside of the urethra about in the middle of the penis. Sometimes it burns when I urinate and other times it does'nt. I opened the tip of the penis and noticed the inside was very red. There are no open sores, bumps, discharge or lesions. But, my lymph nodes are swollen and tender.

I spoke to my friend about my symptoms and she assured me that she does not have any STD's. She went to her doctor that same day and tested negative for STD's several days later.

I also went to my doctor and I tested negative for everything syphillis (syphilis), Chlamydia, HIV, and so. I was tested for herpes about a week ago with a swab and blood test and both were negative. I stil have the same symptoms, what can it be?
Ask to be tested for Trichonomis...This is very hard to detect in men, I went undiagnosed for 2 years...symptoms are redness, irritation, pain at tip of penis- all symptoms come and go...just when you think you are felling better they come back...
i 2 have the same symtoms (symptoms), ALot of people seem to have it but no one has the answer? is there some over the counter drug i can take somewhere to heal this issue?? I dont want to waste my time with a doctor cuz ive been researching on this forum and i believe that the doctors cant help from everything ive already read.
I had more tests done and and urine test and everything came back negative. Now, Im really stumped. My urologist told me that if the symptoms come back to contact my primary MD. My primary MD told me it may be all in my head. None of this maked sense.
What are all of the tests you've had done?  I might be able to help if you give me the run down.  Did you have  a urine NAAT for gonorrhea/chlamydia?  A culture?  A gram stain microscope examination?

For reference,  a swab test for herpes culture is very unreliable.  A PCR swab is much better at detecting the virus.  The herpes blood test at 6 weeks is still very inconclusive, however, more than 50% of new infections would have been detected by then.   Though I highly doubt that is what you have.  And the odds are already on your side.

If your friend is for instance carrying gonorrhea orally but not genitally, then it's likely that a genital swab/ urine NAAT would come back negative.  However, your test would not.

By urine test, I assume you mean urinalysis?  Most male trich (>50%) cases, and about 30% of NGU cases will have a negative urinalysis.   All that is detecting is white blood cells in your urine, and even then, it's not usually performed correctly enough to be sensitive.  You need to provide only the first small amount (15-30ml) of urine after holding your urine for 4+ hours.
Thanks for the info. What you wrote has been very helpful. I recieved both a unrinalysis and urine culture and both came back negative.
A urine culture will also not grow many common causes of NGU such as Trich and mycoplasma genitalium.

I'd test for Trich first, as that's not usually tested for with STD panels.  Then if that is negative I'd test for mycoplasma/ureaplasma.

Depending on the results of these tests, I'd then retest for herpes, which can have no lesions but lead to the discomfort in the urethra.  But you should wait 12 weeks for a more accurate result.  However, as stated above, that's already unlikely the cause with a 6 week negative.
I'm just curious, what does a "common" run of the mill STD test in men consist of?  Does the doctor just check the genitals and then swab the penis?  Or what other tests should be run to check for all available STD's?  Thanks.
It really depends on the doctor, but an extensive panel would usually be:

Urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Blood tests for:  HIV, HSV-1, HSV-2, Hep B, Hep C, Syphilis.

But really there's a lot of variation in what a particular place will test you for.

A swab can be looked at under the microscope to diagnose gonorrhea (as it can be seen).  It can also be used to look for white blood cells, which are indicative of an infection.  But that won't identify the organism.  Unless that swab is sent it for PCR or culture.
Its been approx. 80 days since i had sex with my friend and I still have the burning sensation in my urethra and my lymph nodes are still swollen and tender. These symptoms have been on going for 80 days straight. The burning sensation comes and goes, sometimes it feels worse on other days and other times it goes away for a day or two. Does anyone have a clue on whats up with this? I have another appt. with a uroligist this monday 8/13. Is it possible to have a herpes symptoms for 80 days straight?
Any updates?
Please look at the dates of posts, this is from 2007, the person is not around anymore.

If you have a question please start your own thread.
Did u find out the problem?