STDs Community
Can Pap test tell you if you have Herpes?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

I have a bunch of questions I tested positive for HSV type 1. However i have only been with one partner and vice versa. We both dont have and signs of gential (genital) herpes or cold sores. My doc wasnt very good at telling me anything all she said was I have herpes type 1. And when i asked her questions she said to look online !
I am worried and want some answers please. Also i got a blood test last year and was fine. My partner is also came negative for everything.
Can a pap test tell you if you have herpe?. And if you are positive for herpest type 1 should a doc tell you some sort of scor? Can a test culture test be wrong? Can a blood test tell you if you have STD? How could have I gotton Herpes just like that?
Was this a blood test or a culture?  If it was a blood test, I'd say you have oral hsv1, which you probably got as a child.  Only about 20-40% of those with oral hsv1 will ever get a cold sore, and about 60% of the US population has oral hsv1.

If you had a blood test, you should have a test result that reads something like "HSV1 IgG 4.2".  Your number will be different - that's just an example.

I got a culture test. Should i get a blood test? My pap test and urine test both came negative.
Was it a genital culture that came back positive for type 1?  If it was, you most likely got that from someone with oral hsv1 giving you oral sex.

You don't need a blood test if the typed culture came back positive.

I'm confused - what did they culture if you have no symptoms either orally or genitally?

Aj
I had a pimple in my vaginal area, it was not itchy or painfull. I went to the doc because she has prescribed me medicine and the 2nd day i got this pimple. So i thought it was side effect to the medicine she took a culture test and told me im HSV positive type 1.

I was shocked beacause my partner never had cold sore or herpes, i did have oral sex but that was a while back regardless he had notthing at that time or even now.
I'm already helping you with this in the herpes forum. Please just pick one forum so jess and I aren't repeating each other . thanks!

grace