STDs Community
Can STD be misdiagnosed as UTI?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Can STD be misdiagnosed as UTI?

I have had a recurring problem with UTI over the past year. I have had the same sexual partner for four years and have not had a problem with UTI in the past.....most recently I was treated about 4 weeks ago and diagnosed with yet another UTI, the doctor prescribed 3 days worth of Bactrim. I took this as prescribed and about 2-3 days after finishing the meds my symptoms returned. My doctor then prescribed 10 days worth of Cipro. I finished this about 4 days ago and once again have UTI like symptoms - burning urination, pain, frequency. In the past year I have had an ultrasound of my bladder as well as past UTI cultures - my bladder was cleared as not having any issues.

I have recently discovered that my boyfriend has been cheating on me and has in fact been having intercourse with multiple women.  Is it possibly that my UTI may be an STD? Would a urinalysis reflect positively for both STD and UTI? Obviously I have scheduled a PAP to check for anything else, but I'm wondering if any STD would look like a UTI even under the urinalysis.
Your Dr has to specifically test for STD's. I would ask for specific STD testing.
Ok - but could repeat positive UTI urinalysis also be STD or do STD not present the same as a UTI in a urinalysis? I guess I'm asking is could all these positive urine screens I've been getting have actually been a STD or when they do the UTI test are they sure it is truly a UTI and not something else? Which STD could be misdiagnosed as UTI? Chlamydia? Gonorrhea?

Just want to be certain I'm asking for the correct thing - and would a PAP cover all of those STD or would I need a different type of test?
no because there are many ways to get a uti, if your testing positive for a uti then thats what it is. you need to stop assuming and just get tested for stds. A pap usually covers chalmydia and gono but you need to double check with your GYN to see if they tested for those.
Thank you - I have an appointment to get a PAP today, however my PCP was getting ready to call in another round of antibiotics for this UTI and I didn't want to bother taking them if it wasn't actually a UTI and could in fact be a STD. I'm glad to know that all these UTI were in fact UTI.