STDs Expert Forum
Can a vibrator spread stds

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Can a vibrator spread stds

I need advice.  Awhile back I used a female family members vibrator a few times without her knowledge.  This person is married and would have no reason to suspect any stds in her life.  A short time after I found out that I have hpv and had to have minor treatment.  The details are that I only used the vibrator over my underwear, after use I rinsed the end that I could with water (due to the handle cord the entire thing was not cleaned) and dried it with a towel.  What is concerning me is that I can't remember if I used soap so I will assume not.  I am worried that some secretions could possibly have made it inside the crevices of the vibrator.  The vibrator would not have been used by both of us in a short time period, at least an hour and probably much more.  Would this period of time have been long enough to not allow transmission to another person?  Would the underwear have prevented the virus from coming in contact with the vibrator?  I am very worried that I could have introduced hpv into this person & her husbands life, it is highly unlikely that the would have any other exposure.  Could I have passed this (or anything else) by using the vibrator?  Based on your opinion I will tell me family I have done this if you think there was a risk.  I am very anxious about this and need to know if I put anyone in danger.
Welcome to the forum.

Responding to the title of your question, before reading anything else:  "Can a vibrator spread stds?"  Sure, this happens all the time, especially among lesbian women.   But only if the vibrator (or other sex toy) is shared more or less immediately during sex.  After a few minutes, and certainly after any secretions on the vibrator have dried, there is no transmission risk of STDs by any inanimate object.

Now having looked at your question, there is absolutely no risk for HPV or anything else.  And no STD can ever be transmitted through clothing -- even if the vibrator were still wet with genital secretions from a previous user.

So no worries at all here.  Don't give it another thought.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you very much, I cant' tell you how happy I am for your quick response.