STDs Community
Can an std live outside of the body?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Can an std live outside of the body?

I was diagnosed with chlamydia about 6 months ago and it took multiple treatments to cure. I was again diagnosed with it about a month ago though im not convinced it was ever fully taken care of the first time. I've taken 10 days of levaquin and 7 days of doxy and symptoms are almost gone but lingering a bit longer than id like.

Here's the curveball: when i masturbate i often use a sock. Is there ANY chance that i've sort of infected the socks and laundry is not killing the bacteria and reinfecting myself??? I know it sounds crazy/stupid but it actually would make sense and explain a lot of things.

Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but both times i got it (if indeed it's 2 separate times) the first test comes back negative and then the second one comes back positive. Both times sufficient time had gone by that if i had it, it should have shown up the first time. Figured id throw all info out there.

Thanks.
STD's die quickly when away from the host. So the first theroy is out of the question on reinfection.
Sometimes tests come up with false positives and false negative...it is rare but can happen. After you finish the medication wait 2 weeks and test again, this should tell you if you still have it or if it is gone.