STDs Community
Can anyone clarify this once and for all? (About oral chlamydia/gonorrh...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Can anyone clarify this once and for all? (About oral chlamydia/gonorrhea!)

Thank you for taking time to read my story!
First of all I will explain my situation: I am a 27 year old woman and I have recently starting dated someone new. I have been tested on STDs three years go. I did not have any STD and I have not have any form of sex since, so it is safe to assume I went in to this relationship STD free. My new boyfriend said he got tested ten months ago and also had no STDs and didn't sleep with anyone since that test.

My boyfriend and I have had oral sex a few times (maybe 4 to 6 times). We did not have vaginal nor anal sex whatsoever, ONLY oral.
Before we took the next step and because I wanted peace of mind, I asked him to get an STD test just to be sure. His urine test showed he had chlamydia and gonorrhea. His blood test only showed chlamydia. My boyfriend had no symptoms whatsoever. I also did not have any symptoms, and I still don't (no sore throat or anything).
My boyfriend is getting treatment right now. We are obviously completely absent until we know 100% sure he is STD-free. I have went to my doctor to get tested but he told me it was not necessary.

So here are my questions:
1. Is it possible for me to have caught oral chlamydia? Is it possible for me to have caught oral gonorrhea? (If so, can they ONLY be detected with a throat swab or also in a urine test/vaginal swab?)
2. If I have caught chlamydia or gonorrhea, does it stay in my throat? Or does it travel through my body? In other words, is my vagina also infected after performing and receiving oral sex from someone who has chlamydia and gonorrhea? Or only my throat?
3. If I did caught chlamydia and/or oral gonorrhea after oral sex: how likely is it for me to pass that on through oral OR vaginal sex? Since I was not tested and thus not given medication, I am very worried I will just pass it on to my boyfriend again.
4. How is it possible both chlamydia and gonorrhea were found in the urine, yet only chlamydia was found in the blood? Is gonorrhea not detectable in blood?
5. Is it possible for my boyfriend to not have had any symptoms for any STD whatsoever for about a year? How come his gonorrhea did not clear on its own within that year, or is that just a myth?
6. IF one gets symptoms from chlamydia and gonorrhea, can that happen after a few months or even years? Or is it so that IF one gets symptoms, it happens within a few weeks or not at all?

On a different note: the people on this website are the only ones who seem to think STDs don't spread easily through oral sex. On all the other websites I have found so far I only read horror-stories. Are all the other websites falsely informed or are you just very optimistic people? ;)

Thank you so much for reading this and another huge thank you for taking time to answer my questions! You are being an enormous help.
Kind regards,
1. Yes both are possible but oral gonorrhea more likely, as oral chlamydia is rare. Throat swab.
2. Throat only
3. Low risk from oral again, so you either just medicate or get tested via throat swab.
4. Blood test is unreliable and not used for diagnosis
5. Chlamydia not to show for 1 year...yeah possible. Gonorrhea very unlikely. A lot of gonorrhea can cure on it's own in 6+ weeks.
6. Normal symptoms will happen within 2 weeks, if not then it may take several months for any type of symptoms. Over 90% of men get symptoms.

This site does believe STD's are passed via oral sex, just not often as they are during vaginal and anal sex. And the nature of how they are passed via oral makes it a low risk.

Now to the situation at hand, someone is not truthful. I would guess that your bf either lied about testing 10 months ago or had sex since then with someone.
Thank you very much for answering! Turned out today my boyfriend miss interpreted his doctor; the doctor had said he tested on both STDs but he never said my boyfriend had them both. Turns out he 'only' has chlamydia, which would explain why he did not have any symptoms whatsoever as he didn't have it. Mystery solved.
Also, the fact he 'only' has chlamydia is good news for me as getting chlamydia through oral is very rare if I am correct? My doctor said I didn't even had to bother getting a throat swab (I' still want one though - better safe than sorry).

Oh, just one more question if that is okay: does medication for chlamydia cover all chlamydia or do you need something different for an oral infection?
Oops, I left something out: "Turns out he 'only' has chlamydia, which would explain why he did not have any symptoms whatsoever as he didn't have it." should have been: "Turns out he 'only' has chlamydia, which would explain why he did not have any symptoms for gonorrhea whatsoever as he didn't have that."
it's the same treatment whether it's oral or genital chlamydia.  

have you both been tested for herpes? it's not a part of routine std testing so you both have to check to be sure.

have you both had your gardasil shots for hpv?

so why do we have different replies than some other sites do? Because we have std specialists for our expert replies, we have CL's who are either in the medical field or have proven themselves to give educated replies  and we only allow medically accurate info. anyone who tries to repeatedly scare folks needlessly here, is reported to the mods.  we believe in accurate advice, not scare tactics here!!  

grace
Thank you for your input Grace! That explains why there are no horror-stories here.

My doctor said he couldn't check on herpes unless there is an outbreak - then a swab would be made of the infected area and get tested for herpes. If you're telling me there is a possibility to check on herpes anyway, I am certainly going to ask for that too. Thank you for informing me!

I never had a HPV shot in my life because of all the controversy around it. I've been told it's not safe, doesn't prevent anything and even causes cancer. That scared me off back then, but that was years ago so I'll certainly look into it again.

Again thank you for taking time and effort to answer my questions Vance & Grace, it is very much appreciated!
yes, we recommend screening for herpes with type specific herpes igg blood testing to know your hsv1 and hsv2 status both.  your provider's advice is about 20 years behind the times!!

newer studies released have re- affirmed that there are no real health risks to the hpv shots.  Was a lot of needless hype around them when they first came out that has since been disproven once again.  your clock is ticking for being eligible for getting them.
Hey grace,
I am a male who 6 months ago had oral sex both receptive and giving with two other high risk (they were gay and it was anonymous) males. I however found the woman of my dreams and asked her to marry me recently. I obviously don not want to give anything I possibly might have to her, can you help me out?

I was tested at 4 months by quest diagnostics and everything came back negative including herpes both 1 and 2. This was an 8 panel blood and urine test.

However I have experienced some yeast skin problems such as tinea veriscolor. I also have discomfort in testicular (vas deferens) region. The doctor told me this is probably a vericocele and to not be alarmed. No burning urination or discharge.
I have also had sinus drainage issues and constant clearing of throat (no sore throat).

I think I might have an oral std that would not show up on a urine test. Who gives throat swabs? Are they accurate? Can I still be treated with antibiotics successfully after  6 months of carrying gonorreah, chlamydia,  or syphillis (syphilis)?
1. Grace is no longer answering questions
2. Please start your own thread and your question will be answered.