STDs Expert Forum
Can genital herpes be transffered through saliva to an open cut?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I was having oral sex with someone and I had an open wound above my penis. The open wound was from a swollen lymph node. I was told to put neosporin on it and it would go down so i did. It started going down but still was there. During the oral sex absolutly no skin contact was made. the wound is about two inches up from my penis underneath pubic hair. I know that saliva was on it after we were done. I have red bumps around it now. some of them look like there forming blisters. They dont hurt or anything like that, maybe alittle itching here and there. is it possible they might have given me genital herpes or could it be another reaction from the swollen lymph nodes. before the oral sex i was tested for herpes and it was negative.

You have not provided sufficient information to make a judgment about this problem.  What was the time interval between receipt of oral sex and the appearance of the lesions?  Further, it is not clear how a swollen lymph node would lead to an open wound in your genital area. finally, you need to clarify exactly where the lesion/sore is.

I would suggest you see a professional who can evaluate this.  One possibility is that the neosporin that you are applying has induced a an allergic reaction.

Perhaps I can add more when you provide more information.  EWH

the bumps started to apear the next day or the day after that. The bumps are about 2 inches above the base of my penis far from skin to skin contact during the oral sex. My doctor told me the wound was from swollen lymph nodes. It started off as a what seemed to be a large pimple with a large white cap that was going away after I started to put neosporin on it. I read that herpes is transffered only through skin to skin contact but there wasn't any just saliva got on it. Is it possible I could have contracted something or possibly a reaction from the neosporin or something else. I was never allergic to anything really.
Swollen lymph nodes do not casue open sores- it works the other way around.  As I said, this does not sound like herpes and sounds very much like something else- an allergic reaction or folliculitis.  EWH