STDs Expert Forum
Can gential(genital) warts spread thru bar soap?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can gential(genital) warts spread thru bar soap?

I have genital warts and was masturbating, then after masturbating I washed my hands using the bar of soap near the bathroom sink. Then about a 24 hours later a female family member used that bar of soap to take a shower. How likely can that person contract the virus?
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the STD forum.

Soap instantaneously inactivates all viruses, including HPV -- as well as most bacteria.  Which is why soap and water remains among the most effective means of preventing any infection, at least those acquired by skin to skin contact.

People in the households of persons with genital HPV infections never get infected themselves (unless they have sex with them); and for sure nobody in your household can catch HPV by using soap you had used.

Regards--  HHH, MD
7 Comments
Blank
Thank you doctor, this puts a load off my mind. I was very worried about passing this virus to someone else.
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
The only way you can transmit genital HPV is by having sex with someone.
Blank
So how about the toilet seat? You always hear storied about the possibility of getting it from the toilet seat, just wanted to make sure it was a myth as well.
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
The toilet seat is a myth for all STDs, including HPV.

That will be all for this thread.  Accept the reassurance, follow your doctor or clinic's advice about treatment of your warts, and move on.
Blank
One last question, what about Molluscum? Since it is also a virus would the bar of soap instantaneously kill the virus as you have said it does to HPV?
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
I already said "Soap instantaneously inactivates all viruses...."  I haven't changed my mind.  That's all for this thread.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank