STDs Expert Forum
Can gonorrhea chlamydia come back on its own after a negative test?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

This is a question for Dr Handsfield.

I was wondering whether there was any chance that can gonorrhea OR chlamydia come back on its own after a negative test?
95% of the info on the internet (including what I have seen on Medhelp) says it is DEFINTELY not possible.
But there are a few sites which say it may be.

I thought once it was successful treated there is no chance it can come back on it's own.

I was just hoping for definitely clarification from someone who is an expert in this area.

Welcome to the forum.  FYI, it is only by chance that I am answering your question.  Dr. Hook and I take new questions at random, ignoring requests for either one of us.  Our styles are different, but our opinions and advice never are.

No treatments for any infection are 100% effective.  Once in a while, gonorrhea or chlamydia may persist despite recommended treatment.  In addition, sometimes these infections are caught anew -- for example, if after treatment someone has sex with a new partner, or one who wasn't treated, he or she may be reinfected.

Does that answer your question?

Regards--   HHH, MD
Thanks Dr. Handsfield.

Great.
So chlamydia or gonorrhea can't just sometimes be in your system and sometimes not?
They would show in a test if you had either infection?
Nothing can be "partially treated", NOT show up in a test and THEN come back?
If you don't have it, you don't have it?

This would not be relevant to a new infection- but an old infection which was successfully not in your system due to a negative test- but then would not come back?

Sorry for all the questions :)
Sorry,
should have made it clear that as far as I know neither my or my girlfriend has ever had chlamydia or gonorrhea.
We are just about to start trying for a baby and just want to make sure that our STI/ STD test results would be accurate and that neither of us could have had a chlamydia or gonorrhea infection that could go away and just come back by itself? (without a new infection).

So i have nothing to worry about?
No STDs ever are "just sometimes be in your system".  You cannot have an STD unless you catch it by having sex with an infected person.  If your tests for gonorrhea or chlamydia are negative, you don't have it -- period.  For sure you have "nothing to worry about".  All is well.  Best wishes for your planned family.
I apologise, I know I wasn't very clear with my question(s).

I am just confirming that gonorrhea and chlamydia are not a 'sporadic' disease.
EG) is not possible to have gonorrhea or chlamydia, it disappears on it's own at the time of a STI test, then comes back without a new infection?
thanks for your patience.
Linked with my above question & from my understanding of what you are saying, this website must be incorrect?

http://www.chacha.com/question/can-chlamydia-come-back-on-its-own-once-treated
The website is correct.  My original reply said the same thing exactly:  "Once in a while, gonorrhea or chlamydia may persist despite recommended treatment." That website does NOT say that chlamydia can "just happen".
Oh of course.
So if they "may persist" then they obviously wouldn't have been successfully treated, so they would still show up during a chlamydia/ gonorrhea test?

So they both obviously aren't a sporadic disease which would disappear on its own during a test period then come back randomly without a new infection??

As you said they can't "just sometimes be in your system".

Please let me know the answers to my two questions in this comment & it will be the last you will hear from me.

Sorry again, this is all new to me and I am trying to get my understanding just right so I can confidently plan for my future with my girlfriend.
You are asking the same questions using different words. I cannot explain it better than I have and I am not going to repeat myself.  Since English is not your native tongue, I have to think you simply do not understand the words. I suggest you read and study my previous replies, perhaps with the help of someone with excellent English language skills.

I will not have any more comments or advice.