STDs Expert Forum
Can oral sex pass STD?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Can oral sex pass STD?

My story;

I am a married man in my 40's and on 10-27 I visited a prostitute and performed cunnilingus on her for a short time(5 minutes) and received a handjob from her (no sexual intercourse).

On 11-3 I woke up to a slight sore throat and saw 2/3 small raised pus sacks near the back of my throat (on the uvula).  The day before the sore throat (11-2) I performed cunnilingus on my wife.

Since that time I have read STD Q&A's on this forum and saw that chances were low that I acquired an STD (namely gonorrhea) from the time I spent with the prostitute. I then continued sexual intercourse with my wife several times over the past 2 weeks, but just to be safe I did not perform cunnilingus with her since 11-2.

On 11-21 my wife said that she has been spotting/light bleeding for the past week between periods and she said that it was very unusual.

My questions;

1) Could I have acquired gonorrhea of the throat or another STD from the prostitute?

2) If #1 is possible could I have passed gonorrhea to my wife through cunnilingus with her?

3)  What else would explain my wife's statement of her unusual bleeding?

4) If #1 & #2 are possible, wouldn't it then be possible for me to get gonorrhea of the urethra from sexual intercourse with my wife? (I have not had any symptoms in that regard).

I appreciate that I have an opportunity to ask these questions of a professional on a forum such as this.  Doctor, I am anxious over the matter and I am just looking for some answers. Thank you.
Oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted to the male urethra through oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   Men giving oral sex to an infected partner can acquire gonorrhea but is uncommon and when it occurs, it is usually asymptomatic. Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  In your case, you had a single exposure; I would urge you not to worry. If you must, you could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested with a throat culture for gonorrhea.  The tests will be negative and in my opinion, you probably do not need testing at all.  As for your specific questions:

1.  See above. Gonorrhea is the major concern and it is most often asymptomatic.   My guess is that the sore throat you experiences was due to something else ( a plain old every day viral sore throat) unrelated to your exposure.
2.  With each successive, "if I got it, did I pass it on”, the risk gets progressively less.  In the unlikely situation that you got a gonococcal throat infection, I doubt that you
would past it on  
3.  There are many potential causes of vaginal spotting, STDs being just one of them.  If it persists, she should see her gynecologist.
4.  See #2 above.  You're stretching things.

Hope this helps.  EWH