STDs Community
Can test results show how long you have had Herpes?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

My question is...based on the blood test results are you able to tell how long you have had herpes & if the test shows that you are having a re-occuring outbreak or just recently been diagnosed as contracting Herpes within the last 6 months?

Here are my results:

HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG
  HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 3.8 High
  HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec 7.1 High

HSV, IgM 1/2 Combination <.91
Tags: test, years
Your test results show that you have  well established hsv1 and hsv2 infections.  I'd assume you've been infected for at least a month or so but other than that there's nothing you can ascertain from the numbers.

The igm should've never been drawn on you in the first place and is a total and complete waste of time and money.  Plenty of terrific posts by HHH in the archives on why not to get an igm test drawn.

grace
but could u have had herpes for about 12 years and only had an outbreak once and still be a virgine?