STDs Community
Can you get STD from a sex toy

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Can you get STD from a sex toy

Recently I purchased a Cyberskin vagina at a store.  After I used it I believe it had been used before and taken back to the store. This is a enclosed masterbation (masturbation) toy.  If someone had used it, took back, and then I used it can I get a STD from it.  How long can STD live inside a object like this?
I find it very hard to believe that they would resell a used sex toy.  
what makes you think it was used?

grace
Avatar n tn
The lube was missing out of the box....after inspecting the box, it was torn.
Avatar n tn
I had a reaction to the sample lubes that the store gave me.  The inside of my penis is raw and irritated. Saw the doctor, he stated you can not catch STD's by this,but he said I had Non Specific Urethrities.  
Thank you for updating what your doctor said. I am pretty sure that sex toys are non-returnable. Someone may have stolen the lube from the box...OR the store clerk opened the box for a customer's inspection and the lube fell out. I have been to a store that sells sex toys that has done this.
Avatar n tn
It was kind of a shady place.  Thats what got me thinking
Avatar n tn
How can an STD live outside the body?
An std cannot live outside the body.  It basically, uses the body as its host.  The bacterias that cause them (or most bacteria in general) like dark warm moist places such as the urethra, and vagina as their homes.  They survive for only minutes once exposed to air.

Thinking about a sex shop taking back used toys is like thinking about restaurant workers doing nasty things to your food.  It's either trust that they are doing their job in an appropriate manner or don't go to them.  You never know and sometimes it is better not to wonder and let it be. Otherwise, you will have this problem in almost everything you do. You can only control what YOU do.