STDs Expert Forum
Chances of HIV Contraction

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chances of HIV Contraction

I firstly would like to say what an excellent service you provide, and how many people you must make feel happier.
I had protected heterosexual sex twice in two days with two different sex workers (I know very stupid and I regret it more than anything!) It was exactly 31 and 32 days ago.
The first time I am not so worried about, in that I know I withdrew and ejaculated outside of her inside the condom and it was still intact.
However the second time, she stopped about ten minutes into it, went away and came back and put on an extra thick condom. After about half an hour I had still not ejaculated and I know the second condom was still intact. My worries are regarding the first condom and whether it broke. I am 95% certain that it hadn't but I cannot be sure.
I got tested exactly ten days after the second episode for all STD's and all results including HIV and HEP-B came back negative.
I have a further test exactly 46 days (6 weeks 4 days) after the incident, which is in 14 days and I am really worried that I have contracted something.
I have no obvious or common symptoms, I had a blocked nose for about three days after about two weeks and one small instance of diarrhoea after three weeks (it was a one off and has not re-occurred).
I am getting married soon and I want to be tested before the event.
Please help as the anxiety is killing me. It is the worst feeling in the world. I just need to know I am going to be ok.
To add to my anxiety I am going to have a further test which will be exactly 9 weeks and 2 days after.
Please help as I am going out of my mind with stress and anxiety. I just cannot stop thinking about what happened!
Thanks for the thanks about the forum.  However, I'm not sure what you think I can add to what you already seem to know.  The exposures you describe were extremely low risk (for practical purposes, zero risk for HIV); you have no symptoms to suggest STD; and you had negative tests for "all STDs", including HIV.  (Your nasal symptoms are irrelevant.)  So you aren't infected.  If you want to be super sure, have a final HIV test 3 months after the second exposure.  But both the 6 week test, and 3 month test if you have one, will be negative.

If despite this reassurance your anxiety persists, you need to consider seeing a mental health professional; the level of anxiety you are feeling is not normal.  I suggest it out of compassion, not criticism.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
Man, you sound like me a month ago.  If I can tell you one thing it's to RELAX!  The chances are so small that you really have nothing to worry about.  I even read some articles that said heterosexual HIV transmission was not even worth discussing.

I understand how you feel.  I was nearly crippled mentally after my encounter with a sex worker in South America.  I had convinced myself that I was HIV positive.  This forum really put me at ease though(Thanks Dr. HHH!).

You are fine, live your life!

:)
I'm curious--sounds like you're pretty routinely having sex with pros, so why are you getting married?  I'm guessing the wife to be wouldn't be cool with that at all.  Might save her some heartache to reconsider marriage.  Better the intense but short lived heartbreak of a wedding cancelled than the long-term pain of an unfaithful partner.  The doc here often points out that our true sexual natures can't be denied for long.  Probably some truth to that.  So, if sex with pros is what you want and need, why not just leave it at that?

marriedlove
As you may have read, I regret doing it! I am not doing these things regularly, if I were then I would not be posting comments on this site (as I guess I wouldn't really care.) She is not my wife yet, and this was before my marriage was arranged! If it had been arranged before the incident then I know I wouldn't be in this situation. Thanks for your opinion though!
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I do feel a little better. However just one question after my 6 and 10 week tests do I need to go back and have a twelve week one?
No, you don't need further testing.  However, the official advice is to wait until 3 months after exposure to have a final test.  Do that if it will help you deal with your anxiety.  But you don't really need it; there is no chance it will be positive.

HHH, MD
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Just one question though, do I really need to go back and have a twelve week test, after my 6 and 10 week tests? Won't the 10 week test be conclusive enough?
Sorry bout that my screen didn't refresh.
tim_tim,

Don't know if your still reading the forum, but I'm going through a similar experience. I have been with maybe 6 or 7 professional escorts and got tested at about 7 or 8 months and thank God that was negative. About a month ago (see my thread--HIV test question), I went to another escort. I am extermely scared and am going for my 3 month elisa and pray to the Lord that it is negative. Do not listen to the comments that you should not get married. Just pray everything will turn out OK, and then get married. Like you I feel terrible and if I am OK after all this I am never ever touching another women until I'm married. Anyways, I hope this helps,

keb2727
Hi Keb2727,

I am still reading this Column! Trust me lately, it was the only thing keeping me sane!

I feel a lot better now, mentally! I feel a little more convinced that I am ok. It has been over five weeks and still no real major symptoms. I am getting my 6 week test in just over a week. Apparently if that is negative I can ALMOST be certain that I am negative.

I think I am still going to go ahead with the wedding, but concentration is hard to come by at the moment.

I am praying that I will be ok and I know that I will never ever be in this situation again. I am 100% certain about that.

Thanks for your post though. Moral support is just the key.
tim_tim

I'm glad you read my post. I put up another thread today asking the Dr. the reliability of tests at certain intervals. The Dr. said it is about 99% or more maybe 100% accurate (i'm not sure exactly--read my thread today for his answer) at 6 weeks--that's very good odds. I had a low-risk encounter like you, but I'm still very frightned, it's hard to shake it. I am without a doubt never going to do what I did again. Nothing is worth this anxiety. From your thread, your encounters seem really low-risk, but I know it's still scary. Anyways the Dr. said if you want to be 100% sure you can wait 3 months. I really pray to the Lord this is a life lesson and I'm sure going to learn from it. Anyways just let us know how it turns out. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok though.

KEB
I had sex, tonight, with an escort, which was my first time ever.  We used a condom.  The condom didn't break, but as she was leaving, I noticed a small blood "bubble" on her arm.  I only put "bubble" in quotes becuase I don't know how else to describe it.  I actually said something about it and she said it was a broken glass on her arm that she never had stitched up.  I obviously don't believe that.  So that really got me worried.  Anxiety really does bother me, so I am just wondering statistically, what are my chances of HIV contraction?  The condom didn't break but still, I worry too much, which is why I should not do this.  As we were talking, she said she gets tested a lot and she always uses a condom, which made me feel good, but how do I know she is telling the truth?  So I just wanted to know my chances of this being bad. I will definitely get a test done, but I don't know when to get tested.
I had my 6week and 4 day test yesterday and thank my lucky stars it was negative! I'm so relieved, words cannot describe the feeling! I have one further test which will be 9 weeks after my scare.
I have one further question doc (I know you must be busy and I do apologise!)
What percentage of people show up positive for HIV if they are negative at 6 weeks?
Thanks for your time!
I had unprotected sex five days ago. Approx. two days later the lymph nodes in my neck became tender and swollen. I went to my doctor who put me on antibiotics. I'm three days into them and my glands are still tender so it must be viral. The only other symptom I have is a flushed face. It was  that time of the month for the girl which really scares me.

Is it possible that HIV contraction could cause this reaction so soon? Will a HIV test taken ASAP be effective? Please let me know. I'm loosin' me mind!

Thanks.
Hey who can help me? I am so scared. I had a negative HIV test at 6 months after receiving oral sex from a stranger. I can't get it out of my head. I still have ongoing symptoms like i get headaches sometimes, and i get random canker sores that go away with a little salt. I also have floaters in my eyes. Its really scary, i had a negative at 3 and 6 months. Can you give my some feed back Doc?
please please please im am so overwhelmed...i had unproted sex on august 6....i have got it in my mind that i have hiv and cannot get it out...i am 46 years old...female..i have just been diagnosed with vaginitis...never had it before negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea...my test for hiv is on september 12..so now i have given myself dirahea from worry and why does it seem like every symptom matches everything im walking around with..i no longer know if it is my head or my body that is sick...i had a little red dot in my mouth yesterday today its gone...my distress is causing chest pain and i just dont know who to talk to nobody else seems concerned my doctor said the odds are very slim to none...i need opions..please
A related discussion, Possibility of contracting HIV/STD using condom was started.
A related discussion, sick with worry was started.
A related discussion, Unusual Anxiety after visit to a sex worker was started.
A related discussion, Am I at risk was started.