STDs Expert Forum
Chances of HPV transmission or other stds through giving oral sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I've been wanting to spice up my relationship for a while now and would like to allow my girlfriend to give another man oral sex... The issue is I really don't want to get an std through just trying to have a little fun... What would be the safest way I could let her have some fun without having to worry that much? My first question is : What are the risks of her giving a man oral sex and getting HPV symptoms on her vagina? Or is HPV a localized infection and it would only go to her throat if she did somehow receive it? Also what are the chances of other stds through giving oral sex to someone, and does protected oral sex prove to be way safer? I really would like to let her have some fun with other men but want it to be very safe for both our sakes. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment.  Compared to other sexual exposures (i.e. genital-genital or ano-genital) performance of oral sex is far less likely to lead to acquisition or transmission of STDs of any sort.  The reasons for this are not specifically known but are probably related in part to the fact that oral mucosal (skin) surfaces are more resistant to infection than other potential sites.  Thus all STDs are less common at the oral site than at genital sites and persons performing oral sex are less likely to be become infected than with other exposures.  Less likely however in not the same as not likely.  Thus with unprotected oral sex can result in oral gonorrhea if exposed.  Oral HPV can occur as well.   Oral chlamydial infection is also very, very rare.  If oral sex is condom protected, it becomes a virtually no risk event.  

As a result, in answer to your specific question, if your partner performs condom protected oral sex on another partner, the risk of her, or you indirectly, becoming infected is quite low.  I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Just to follow up and sum up if I understood right. HPV couldn't go to her genitals if she performed oral sex on another person who was infected with HPV? The risk would only be associated with the throat area, correct?
I really just wanted to know about the chance of acquiring genital HPV if you were to give oral sex to someone with it? It couldn't transfer to her genitals if she gave someone oral sex could it?
HPV is a local infection, transmitted by local contact.  Thus HPV acquired by oral sex (an unlikely event) would not go elsewhere on the body.

If your partner happened to have oral HPV there is a small chance that it could then be, in turn, transmferred to you through oral sex but this would be ncommon.  It is not possible to provide a defintive figure.  EWH
Thank you Dr. Hook!