STDs Community
Chances of having contracting syphilis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Chances of having contracting syphilis?

I recently had an encounter with a 24 - 25 year old woman, this was a chance encounter with a woman I didn't know.
We engaged in protected oral and protected vaginal sex. At one point there was mild discomfort due to abrasive pubic stubble.

This occurred in MS (third highest rate for syphilis in the country)

I am concerned with the possibility of having caught syphilis. I understand syphilis can be contracted from skin to skin contact even when a condom is used. My questions are?

What is the incubation period? How long will it take to show up? What do I look for? How long do I have to wait to be tested?

If I DID catch it, am I contagious even before a chancre shows up, or only after (Primary stage)?

I understand penicillin is the preferred treatment. What dose? And would it be possible to get a shot of penicillin as a preventative to keep a chancre from even developing? (Sort of nip it in the bud so to speak)
MS???

Syphilis is rare in developed countries. So your risk would be very very low.
The 1st stage is a canker at the point of infection (you can google pics of it), normally shows at about 21 days and a test is conclusive at 6 weeks post exposure.

Syphilis is transmitted from direct contact with a syphilis sore.

We don't speak on treatment here.
MS = Mississippi
The state that is ranked third highest in number of confirmed cases of syphilis
So at what point do I become contagious? When the chancre appears or before?

I have seen the photos and I am watching for that. But I have read anywhere from 3 - 90 days. So I want to get tested initially then have a follow up at 90 days. But wondering how long to wait to get tested to ensure reliable results.
Syphilis is mainly in the gay and bisexual male community. A 24-25 year old woman having syphilis...very rare.
Would not be concerned at all.
Oh all things syphilis would be the least to worry about. Herpes and HPV would be more of a possibility then syphilis.
I do not worry about HPV too much since it is very common and could lie dormant for years. There is virtually no way to determine who has it and who does not. Even if I test negative, there is no guarantee it will not come up later. And if I test positive there is no way to tell WHEN I got it ...
About the only one of concern would be the warts, which go away on their own anyway, but there is also medication to suppress them.
if you are concerned about syphilis, test 6 weeks post encounter.  should you notice any obvious genital symptoms before then, be seen promptly.

grace