Chancre Sore Definition and Timeline
Hello Doctor,

I had unprotected sexual intercourse with a British non sex worker while on holiday. The encounter lasted no longer than a few minutes, and this was in May of this year. Could you please clarify a few things for me?

How does a chancre sore develop? What does it look like in the initial stages? I have a small unopened spot like lump on the shaft of my penis. It is just bigger than the end of a pencil and literally just appeared yesterday. I am aware a chancre can appear up to 90 days after the encounter hence the fact I am worried. I have no swelling in any of my lymph nodes and have no other symptoms. The spot is painless and if I'm honest looks like a blocked pore however I would like to know if a chancre just appears or if it has stages through its evolution?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to our Forum. The chancre is the term describing the initial lesion of syphilis which appears at a site of sexual contact.  The lesions are typically painless and quickly, in just a day or two, open up to become ulcerating sores which are also painless.  Syphilis however is a rare disease, particularly among heterosexuals and your timing is not good- most chancres appear within three weeks of contact.  My guess is that your impression, that this is folliculitis (a blocked pore) is correct.  I would advise you NOT to squeeze or manipulate it and see what happens.  Soap and water and gentle washing with a washcloth are helpful for folliculitis.  If it evolves you may want to see a physician for testing but as I said, the chances that what you describe are syphilis are low.

I hope this information is helpful. EWH
Just to clarify, I am a male who had sex with a female, sorry for not being clear.