Aa
A
A
Close
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Chancre Sore Definition and Timeline
Hello Doctor,

I had unprotected sexual intercourse with a British non sex worker while on holiday. The encounter lasted no longer than a few minutes, and this was in May of this year. Could you please clarify a few things for me?

How does a chancre sore develop? What does it look like in the initial stages? I have a small unopened spot like lump on the shaft of my penis. It is just bigger than the end of a pencil and literally just appeared yesterday. I am aware a chancre can appear up to 90 days after the encounter hence the fact I am worried. I have no swelling in any of my lymph nodes and have no other symptoms. The spot is painless and if I'm honest looks like a blocked pore however I would like to know if a chancre just appears or if it has stages through its evolution?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
300980 tn?1194933000
Welcome to our Forum. The chancre is the term describing the initial lesion of syphilis which appears at a site of sexual contact.  The lesions are typically painless and quickly, in just a day or two, open up to become ulcerating sores which are also painless.  Syphilis however is a rare disease, particularly among heterosexuals and your timing is not good- most chancres appear within three weeks of contact.  My guess is that your impression, that this is folliculitis (a blocked pore) is correct.  I would advise you NOT to squeeze or manipulate it and see what happens.  Soap and water and gentle washing with a washcloth are helpful for folliculitis.  If it evolves you may want to see a physician for testing but as I said, the chances that what you describe are syphilis are low.

I hope this information is helpful. EWH
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Just to clarify, I am a male who had sex with a female, sorry for not being clear.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
This Forum's Experts
239123 tn?1267651214
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.