STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia From Oral sex?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia From Oral sex?

Hello Dr, I have a serious of concerns that I need some advice on. Im a gay male who lives in sf, and I always I have a very safe sex life. However, today I received a called, and was notified that my test for chlamydia was positive, and it is in my urethra. This made me REALLY Scared, because Ive always used condoms for anal sex, and have followed your recommendations on safer sex. I was dating someone for a month and the closest i got to risking myself, was when the condom moved and part of my shaft was left unprotected during anal sex, but the condom did not come off, nor was the head of my penis unprotected. However I did had a tiny cut on my shaft from receiving oral from the guy i dated. To my knowledge a condom has never broke, I always ask for HIV status, and use condoms for anal sex, which is why Im really confused. Ive also keep reading that Chlamydia is only acquired through unprotected anal and vaginal sex. I also tested for HIV and it was negative. Could it be possible that i had Chlamydia from the guys who performed oral on me before my date?
Welcome back tot he STD forum.

Chlamydia is rarely acquired by oral sex.  It rarely infects the mouth or throat, therefore there is little chance of transmission from mouth to penis.  Perhaps there was an inadvertant and unrecognized condom failure.  Or conceivably the test could be falsely positive -- although the modern chlamydia tests are highly accurate and false positive results are rare.

You are pursuing safe sex, which is good.  But there is no such thing as sex that is completely free of STD risk.  Mistakes happen and unexplained infections are not all that rare.  At this point, the important thing is that you be properly treated.  There is no point in trying to figure out exactly when and where you were infected.  Most likely you will never know.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Does this means im Also at high risk for hiv?
If chlamydia could be transmitted, HIV could be as well.  In general, men who have sex with men are at elevated risk of HIV compared with heterosexual men and women; your sexual attractions (which are biological) and your decisions about how you go about expressing those attractions (which are largely in your control) will determine how high the risk is.  If you want complete assurance you will never get HIV, you will need to avoid anal sex altogether, including condom-protected anal sex, except with partners whom you know to be free of HIV.  This might mean no anal sex unless and until you are in a committed, mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner.  At a minimum it means never having anal sex, even with condoms, without first discussing HIV status with potential partners and avoiding anal sex (and preferably avoiding unprotected oral sex as well) with those who are positive, don't know, or seem evasive in their replies.

Since you somehow acquired chlamydia, it would be smart to have an HIV test in a few weeks, i.e. 6-8 weeks after the likely time of the chlamydial infection.  And then periodically thereafter, like once every few months to a year, depending on how sexually active you are.
Doctor, I'm back. I'm really scared because the guy I was dating and who I think o get the chlamydia from, turned out to be a "sensual massage therapist. And all this time he has been barebacking and today he textes me to tell me he was just told he was HIV+, and probably has been for a while. I am so confused that I'm in shock on testing poZ. I used a condom with him, but I remember that the condom had left my shaft almost half way unprotected. It never slipped or left the head of my penis. Or mayn't the condom was inside out? I'm getting a PCR/RNA test, at the two week from having gotten chlamydia. Was having the shaft of my penis partly unprotected going to render me piz?
I was the top.
It remains unlike you caught HIV.  Even with entirely unprotected anal sex with an infected bottom partner, transmission to the top guy averages once in 200-500 exposures.  And you didn't necessarily catch the chlamydial infection during that event; people can carry chlamydia for several weeks or a few months, without symptoms.  So despite this bad news, the odds are strong that you didn't catch HIV.  Most likely this will turn to be no more than a strong lesson that helps you prevent HIV in the future, by following my advice above, I.e. discussing HIV status with any and all partners.

Presumably you are under the care of a clinic or doctor familiar with HIV diagnosis and treatment.  If not, find one immediately and follow his or her professional advice on diagnostic tests and when to have them.  This is not an appropriate situation for self testing through a lab or online service.  In the meantime, it will be reassuring if the 2 week PCR is negative, but you'll need additional antibody tests, probably through 3 months.

Feel free to report what the doctor or clinic advises and your test results here.  Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I just got back from city clinic in sf where they withdrew blood for the RNA test, and also took a rapid test which was negative. Both of these test were done at 2 weeks after the clamydia (chlamydia) infection. I'll be receiving my results in about 10 days.
I also have to tell you about a time when my ex and I mutually masturbated, and he came on the head of my penis, with large amounts ofsemen that came into contact with my urethra. I'm also uncircumcised.
That last exposure is a more or less impossible scenario for catching HIV, but conceivably could explain the chlamydial infection.  That partner needs to be tested for chlamydia.  So does any other partner you have had in the past 2 months.

San Francisco city STD clinic is an excellent site.  Your clinician(s) there know just as much as I do about all these issues.  So let's hold off on further comments until your HIV RNA test result is available.
I contacted the guy I had sex with before my exboyfriend and he tested neg in all. Also, when my exboyfriend went in for the chlamydia test, he was also given treatment. Do you think that the clinic should still have called if found something wrong, specially chlamydia. This is because my exboyfriend has not been contacted by the clinic, and its been 1 week after he tested. Does that mean he is neg?
I cant say if that means his test was negative.  Even if negative, he still might have been infected, since chlamydia often goes away without treatment, and the test misses some cases.  Even if negative, he needs treatment.  You likely will never know exactly when and where you caught it, and at this point it doesnt matter.

I will have no further comments.  This thread is closed.
RNA test negative. Done at 2 weeks (16 days) after possible exposure.