STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia/Mycoplasma

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia/Mycoplasma

Hello, I am currently on a 3 month assignment in China.

I visited a massage parlour about 3 times in the last 30 days
- May 9 (received unprotected oral sex)
- late May (received 2 hand jobs)

I've read many posts, so understand that item #1 is the only true STI risk.

Starting on June 2, I started getting the following symptoms:
- very yellow colored urine
- a very slight, subtle burn near the tip of my penis
- i have what looks like a very slight redness at the opening, top of the whole in my penis (but i've seen this other times in the past)
- I also now tend to have a bit of increased sensitivity near the head of my penis (i.e., more sensitive when rubbing against my clothes say walking), but this may be simply a result of my heightened nerves/concern

All of that said above, for an STI such as Chalmydia or Mycoplasma - would symptoms take that long to develop (3 + weeks)? Does it sound to you like I could have contracted something? Or perhaps it's just a mild irritation vs disease?

I know you can't diagnose online, I'm just looking for some general guidance in the short term.

Thank you for your help.
See my responses to "lonedog81" in the thread immediately before yours.  If you don't have a cloudy mucus discharge from your penis, most likely you don't have chlamydia.  Mycoplasma is not an issue; mycoplasma is part of the normal bacteria of the genital area and doesn't cause symptoms at all-- it's not an STD.  On top of all that, neither chlamydia nor mycoplasma is ever acquired by oral sex.  It is possible you acquired nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) due to your partner's normal oral bacteria--but that is not known to cause any important long term health risks.

Your own asessment that your symptoms are at least partly due to "heightened nerves/concern" strikes me as a very good bet.  Of course, you need to see a health care provider to know for sure what's going on.  But I don't think it would do any harm to just sit tight for a couple of weeks.  Most likely the symptoms will just fade away.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for the feedback, much apreciated.