STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia and yellow sperm

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia and yellow sperm

I am a deployed soldier and I caught chlamydia while on leave. I tested positive for it about 3 months ago and have not had the opportunity to get back to a base large enough to get retested. I was treated with an antibiotic shot. I already had a doxycycline prescription for malaria prevention. I did not take for about 1.5 months prior to getting infected. After the diagnosis, my doctor had me do a double dose of doxycycline for 10 days and then resume my regular dose.The only symptom I showed was discoloration in my semen. Initially it was bloody. However after about 2 weeks it went from bloody to yellow. Now 3 months later it is still yellow. I will get retested in about a month when I return to the states. Is the yellow semen a sign that I am not cured? Will it go away on its own? Could I have reduced the effectiveness of the doxycycline by not taking the full course of 15 months it was prescribed?
Yellow semen often means an infection inside the genital tract, typically in the seminal vesicles (the sacs where semen accumultes between ejaculations) or in the prostate gland.  Chlamydia doesn't usually causes of such infections, althoug gonorrhea might be a possibility.  Chlamydia just about always responds to doxycycline, but gonorrhea does not.  It sounds like your malaria dose was increased from 100 mg once daily to twice daily.  That is one of the standard chlamydia treatments, and it always works, but it is often not effective against gonorrhea.  Having taken doxy previously, even for 15 months, does not reduce its effect on chlamydia.

Therefore, whatever is going on now probably is not chlamydia. Most likely it isn't gonorrhea either -- probably a nonsexually acquired infection.  Still, it should be properly diagnosed and treated.  You need to see a health care provider for further diagnosis and probably an antibiotic prescription.

Good luck--  HHH, MD