STDs Community
Chlamydia has an origin, so where is the origin?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

It seems rather presumptive to me that a doctor can simply say that a bacteria is passed along via sexual intercourse, but this doctor does not have the knowledge to explain the origin of a bacterial disease such as Chlamydia.

These diseases just don't happen, there has to be an origination somewhere. The gods don't just say one day, well I think we'll infect someone with Chlamydia today and see what happens.  Bacteria comes from the earth, just like we did, so where is the does this particular bacterium originate?  

Sure Chlamydia is 1000's of years old and passed in humans sexually, but it is also carried by Cats, Dogs, Birds, etc. There are different strains of Chlamydia that can cause pneumonia, or other area's of the body to be affected, including the eyes.  

It's pretty bad when there is no ability with our technologies to trace the origin of a bacterium that is prevalent in more than just human beings.  It's also fairly ignorant of a Doctor to simply say, it's caught via sexual intercourse.

It doesn't matter how much education you think you have, if you lack the ability to continually learn and evolve your understanding of the world around you, you're either arrogant or ignorant.

Now if someone asks a doctor a question and the only answer they can give is that it's an STD, there's a problem and that Doctor needs a little more education.

This discussion is related to Chlamydia.
We have years and years of studies and data about chlamydia trachomatis, the form of chlamydia that infects the genitals.  We know, after all these years, how its passed.

I'm sorry if that's hard to hear, or if it makes you angry.  I think its presumptive to assume that your doctor or medical professional is ignorant because they are basing their answers on years and years of science.

What real difference does it make knowing how chlamydia originated?  If you had strep throat, would you be wondering how it originated?
I wasn't commenting about my doctor, I was commenting about the doctor from the original thread in this forum.

If there are years of study, then why is there little to no information about the bacterium on the net?

I've had surgery on my ureter, between my kidneys and bladder, before and after that time I've had a few UTI's because even though I am a male, I am more prone to get them.

About 6 years ago, I was tested for every STD and the results came up negative to make sure I was clean.  The only girl I've been with since that point is my girlfriend of 5 years and I'm her first and only partner and she has been my only partner since those tests were done.

To tell me that you doctors don't understand the origination of a bacterium and I mysteriously caught a bacterial disease from my girlfriend, who I trust with my life, who's been my only partner since my last test and I her only partner ever, is pretty ludicrous.

Now, as per the original thread... Can you catch it other ways? Yeah, I think you can catch it other ways... because there is no other possible explanation, other than to say my original test 6 years ago were WRONG. Putting the fault again at the feet of doctors and medical testing.

If it's the case where my negative tests from 6 years ago were wrong, and this causes my girlfriend any adverse affects, such as PID, I'll be taking legal action. If it's a case where the tests now are wrong and I was just given medication to treat something that isn't there, I'll more than likely be taking some sort of action.

So... you know how it's passed?  I don't care how it's passed.  What is the origination? If one knows the original source, ie: how humans came to contract it, then maybe we'd be a little further on in this conversation than we are now.

Unless of course I hurt your well educated feelings?
"I'm sorry if that's hard to hear, or if it makes you angry.  I think its presumptive to assume that your doctor or medical professional is ignorant because they are basing their answers on years and years of science."

http://www.clinlabnavigator.com/Tests/ChlamydiaDetection.html

"Excessively bloody specimens may cause false positive. Excessive mucus in endocervical samples may cause false negative results."

Apparently Science isn't always all it's cracked up to be, and there are still more things to learn and discover out there.

I'll be having a word with my Dr, because I know there was blood in the second specimen (since when did we have to pee in two cups) because I pinched off to stop the flow (probably shouldn't have done that) and it cause a sharp pain in my urethra near my scrotum and a few blood droplets to go into the urine in the second cup upon the completion of the urination.

Yes false positives do happen just like false negatives, it's part of life. It's rare but yes it can happen.
You want to know where clymida came from...I think there are bigger things to focus on in science and in life in general. Science wants to find a cure for HIV and cancer and is not concerned about where chlymida came from.

And don't come on here and snap at people who are here to help. If you don't like the answers then don't come back. This is not a site to complain about this or that, this site is dedicated to help people. You came on here not looking for help but just to complain.
Hey there, I believe I may have an understanding as to where your question is coming from or how your asking it, let me know if im wrong.
My question is similar... Did chlamydia come from some sort of bacteria caused by having sex? I mean I have not been the most honest person these last couple of months and feel as if I may have been the cause in my case.
I have been seeing 2 people at the same time for a couple of months now. Not to be trashy, just im young and trying to figure out what I want. Unfortunatly I ended up with something I did NOT want. Chlamydia. I'm wondering if it could be caused by having two sex partners in one day and the bacteria from both of them coming together forming a disease?????? Or did one have to have it already and pass it on? I guess im not sure if my question is making sence.. i really just want to know if its possible that I started it or not? Because through all this I have gotten a severe case of PID and having already lost my first and only child during delivery it would be heart breaking to have any complications in future pregnancies. I just kind of want to know.. ya know?
No, chlamydia is its own bacteria.  Its not something that comes together.  One of your partners had it, and you got it.

I'm sorry about the loss of your baby.

Aj
HI,

I AM VERY CONCERNED WITH THIS. BECAUSE THE ONLY ANSWER I RECEIVED FOR WHY I HAVE CHLAMYDIA IS THAT IT IS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED? I KNOW THAT. BUT MY BOYFRIEND IS THE ONLY PARTNER I'VE HAD...AND HE SWEARS HE PUT IT ON HIS MOTHERS LIFE HE HASN'T CHEATED AND NOT BEING NAIVE BUT I BELIEVE HIM. AND I KNOW I HAVEN'T DONE S***, SO HOW DID WE GET THIS? WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 2 1/2 YEARS. CAN IT JUST START WITH US HAVING SEX WITHOUT A CONDOM? AND THAT'S HOW THE BACTERIA EVOLVES INTO CHLAMYDIA? THAT IS MY QUESTION AND I CANNOT SEEM TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER.....EVEN THOUGH I TRUST MY PARTNER.....ITS KILLING ME TO NOT GET THE ANSWER AS TO HOW IT COMES ABOUT? YES, SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED BUT HOW? WHY? IT CANT JUST BE THAT THE ONE YOU ARE WITH CHEATED ON YOU AND THEY GOT IT AND NOW YOU HAVE IT? NO...I BELIEVE THAT BACTERIA LIES IN THE SEMEN, OR IN THE FLUID FROM THE VAGINA AND HAVING SEX WITHOUT A CONDOM JUST MAKES THE BACTERIA TURN INTO THE CHLAMYDIA? BUT HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN ANSWER? ILL KEEP LOOKING, BUT HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP!!!
It is a STD. One person has to have it in order to give it to another. That is the only way. It does not manifest from something else.
You or him could have had it for a long time and not known it. It would be on the long side but possible. If you or him just started to develope symptoms within the last month then it is a new infection.
actually it can be caused by the insertion of an IUD (intrauterine device) because it facilitates the upward spread of vaginal and cervical bacteria
see www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00031002.htm
The Chlamydia bacteria is ancient. It has been around for millions of years. There are other strains that are NOT STD's. However, my thought behind it going from not sexually transmitted to it being sexually transmitted (seeing as how in the very beginning there was nothing to sexually transmit it) is that it evolved to be that way. These particular strains probably survived better and were better suited to be sexually transmitted than any other way. It's a bacteria and probably infect just as other bacteria do, through contact with with.
The origin? What is the origin? Treat the cause not the symptoms.. Simple
i am currently getting my masters in biology...and i am not sure if this is completely correct but my doctor and i went our separate ways due to this discussion...but if my memory serves me correctly....the bacteria that causes chlamydia lives in the vagina and when conditions are right for the bacteria to fest it then turns into the list of symptoms associated with chlamydia....well i know for a fact that trichinosis, the protozoan that causes trich, lives in there as well....it was actually list as so in my microbiology book....but humans have not been on earth long enough and we are still learning...not trying to offend anyone...but i am not sexually active i lost my husband in 2006 and i got Trichinosis...so where did i get it and this is why my doctor and i split cause i have a little more knowledge than the average person....my doctor told me i can only get it sexually though i am not...but i am a diabetic and this fluctuation of my pH level and sugar could have caused this...alot of people are unfaithful
but chlamydia does have to originate somewhere
thanks

tricia  
Ahh a philosophical discussion of Chlamydia.There is a lot of research ongoing to know more about Chlamydia. Unfortunately the research with Trichomonas is limited. Of coarse more research is needed. The more we know the better we can sop these infections. Good luck to ptdesired in your studies. Let us know how you are doing.
Okay I would like to add a comment from what STAR7 has stated, and I too feel what you are saying because I myself was just faced with this scenario.  The major difference being that my ex has been with more people in the past than me - him being my second partner.  However after being together for 1.5yrs I found out a week ago I had Chlamydia he is still waiting for his results because I almost lost it when the doctor told me this.  The best part fo all this is I do not understand how we now find out we have this after being together for 1.5yrs when we both have been tested regularly including a test a few months before being sexually active with one another in addition to tests after.  

So now for my question, how is it that 2 people who are careful about being tested get "negative STD" results prior to and after being together, BOTH are faithful & have not cheated-aside from most doctors acting like assholes assuming someone cant keep it in their pants, how have I tested positive for this???  Are  both of our doctors not capable of testing us correctly a number of times to go a year and a half with each other & be told we are fine when in fact we are not?  

With all doctors get paid answering a ? like where the bacteria associated with chlamydia comes from is a small price to pay for the lifestyles they live- this is their job to COMFORT & EDUCATE THEIR PATIENTS.

& some of you may not think most patients ask where othere illnesses originate from however you underestimate the intelligence of your clients & it is not wise to do this.
hello,
I want to ask is chalmydia develop in women's body?? Is it born there?
Or like you can only catch it?
People people lets get our thoughts together here.  Reason this out, really.

I am a medical student at the University of California.  But **** that doesn't mean anything, as a masters in biology doesn't mean anything either, what really counts is how you have established your ethos, that's the truth (Dr. HHH and Hook I think have the best say in something they are experts in), also I've meet PhD's who are also total quacks, so really it not the title.  I hope this is clear in what I am saying.  

And I am sorry but ptdesired1626, I see why your doctor parted with you.  

Chalmydia is a bacteria that is aquired through sex.  Period.   If you were to ask me "what is the origin of my infection" I  would say, "well you got it by sex from an infected person".    

As far as long long time ago origins ?  Really!?! ---that should not be our concern.
New strains of bacteria originate over thousands of years, little by little, by genetic drift, or sometimes genetic shift (like H1N1 did in a matter of months).  I guess research is still unsure though to prove this.  But the DNA from the bacteria must have evolved by gentic drift making this new virulent strain over thousands of years ago.

The notion that "the bacteria that causes chlamydia lives in the vagina and when conditions are right for the bacteria to fest it then turns into the list of symptoms associated with chlamydia" is completely wrong.   If this were the case then every women would eventually have chalmydia, and this is cearly not the case.   There is NO vaginal flora that causes chlamydia.  We need not to worry about the origins of chlamydia but to prevent it.  The way you do  this is use protection, or abstain from sex.  Its an STD for crying out loud.
Well, I got married exactly one year ago, six months in we were seperated.  I had a one-nite stand, then my husband and I got back together.  He pressured me into confessing about my boytoy while we had been separated.  For 6 months now he constantly accuse me of being a cheater and liar.  But I am not either.  Yesterday he tested positive for chlamydia at a routine visit.  I do not believe that he has ever cheated on me, yet he constantly thinks that about me, but I dont.  I did some research and the CDC says that about 80% of all women with Chlamydia do not know, and will have no symptoms until detrimental things began to happen due to stages of the disease.  For me to have carried this disease for 6 months and not so much as have an itch, that is very scary.  I must go and get tested/treatment myself, like first thing in the morning.  I'm scared of having a disease that could have lasting effects that could have been prevented.  I am also afraid that my husband will look at this as proof for all the accusations of me being a current cheater.  No I have not stepped outside of our relationship since we reconciled six months ago.  Yes I did have unprotected sex with my boytoy six months ago before my husband decided he wanted to reconcile with me.  I know he is going to leave me for sure now.  As I look back over the past year and all we've been through, I do not wish that I would have used a condom; I wish i would have rejected the urge to enibriate myself, giving my body to a man I knew I did not love, and did not love me.  Had I known what I know now, I would have just waited for my husband to come back to me.
"The notion that "the bacteria that causes chlamydia lives in the vagina and when conditions are right for the bacteria to fest it then turns into the list of symptoms associated with chlamydia" is completely wrong.   If this were the case then every women would eventually have chalmydia"

I'm not saying there is a bacteria that causes chlamydia that lives in the vagina but if there was, Not knowing what these hypothetical conditions are that would cause it to fest, you can't say that every women would get it.

Personally I'm not interested in the beginning origins of this disease but am curious as to whether chlamydia or other labelled stds can develop in someone without sexual contact.

I wonder if there has ever been any research to see if the clap could or has manifested without sexual transmission? Has the medical community concluded that its purely a std only because thats the far more common source of the disease? I'm leaning towards no, but thats based only on what current medical theory believes and the fact i have no scientific knowledge of it myself.
OK so if two people having sex don't have it then how do the person who has it get it damn y'all right people make this **** hard to ******* understand
It's simple, one person has to have it.
ptdesired1626 you so far provided the only answer that possibly goes some way towards answering what I and the original asker believe to be an interesting question

yes we all know the bacterium is passed from one person to another via sexual contact and must be treated with antibiotics....blah blah blah

but where does the bacterium originally come from ?

its a bit like someone asking: yes i know i get salmonella food poisoning by eating food infected with the salmonella bacterium, but where does this bacterium originate from ?...only to be answered over and over again with: "oh im sorry to tell you this but you ate food infected with the bacterium and thats that....why do you want to know ?....who cares ?..."

so does anyone here have knowledge that adds credence to or totally rubbishes the idea that as part of the natural fauna of the vagina there exists bacteria that, should certain conditions arise, change/mutate somehow into the harmful chlamydia trachomatis that we all know and love ?

so does anyone hear have knowledge that adds credence to or totally rubbishes the idea that as part of the natural fauna of the vagina there exists bacteria that should certain conditions arise they change/mutate somehow into the harmful chlamydia trachomatis we all know and love ?
Bacteria has been on earth for billions of years. Chlamydia has been around longer than anyone can and will know. Simple as that.
Me and my partner have been together for about 5 years we have a daughter who is 3 and were expecting our second child in June two weeks ago we thought she lost the water but turns out she hadn't but they swabed her and later found out she had chlamydia she was so upset I received the call at work accusing me of all kinds I was shocked I didn't know what to do apart from defend myself I explained I hadn't cheated I could never do that to her and I know. She hasn't cheated on me. Is it possible for us or me to have caught it from my last relationship as both of my 2 previous relationships the both cheated on me IV never been tested untilled this week where I was confirmed to have it. I was expecting to as she had it. My current partner have one child already but we don't think she was tested for our first and as we only found out with the second in 20 week stage she didn't go through everything that we did with our first child. But IV also got a child with one of my ex so my question is could I of caught it off my ex and passed it to my current partner without known and most importantly could of any of our children have it. Please help just for peace of mind. My email is ***@**** name si
thanks in advance
am I the only one that feels like Doctors are cover up for this "bacteria"?
you got it from some one else because they have it is not an answer.
well were did they get it from? and so on..
an answer would be; you got cancer because your white blood cells cant fight off the disease, and from the Carcinogens in the cigarettes you smoke.

I also think this is not soley a STD, there are too many cases that say otherwise.

I have had a similar situation. where I am in a monogamous relationship of 6 years. and every year i get tested has been normal...except this past year. I know what I didnt do, and i trust my partner completely.  Although i must admit it does raise questions. I want to know the origin, because I love my partner  and i want to believe he has done right by me. and anyone in this situation would want to know if there are other ways to contract this bacteria. simply for the sake of there relationship if nothing else.
I care and I know others care of the origins of this Bactria for the same reason. so when you say "who cares?" well apparently a lot of people care.
and I am one of them.
and maybe thats worth researching it a bit differently then just as an STD.
I think it is at least worth a try, considering there are quite a few cases that believe there partners.
Sry Jessy I disagree. The origins must be important. And the reason being If Chlymidya where eradicated from the face of the earth (like small pox supposably has been presumed in 2011), would the disease manifest itself in humans through sexual contact again organically? Or would the disease have been wiped out?

If it would reappear on its own obviously it has origins, and I feel they would be important to understand. If not it was obviously only spread through an infected host individual through sexual contact.

Who's to say there isnt something already present in the penis or vagina and It could fest into chlymidia and reappear? Or we all maybe have a bacteria inside of us and when a series of events within us create the right conditions we can get/spread chlymidia? We all have cells within us, that may or may not mutate into cancer, perhaps its similar.

I honestly don't feel that saying it is spread through sexual contact is a good enough explination of anything, to dismiss claims of individuals where sexual contact is non evident in there personal case with the disease, or in cases where the couples were NOT INFECTED PRIOR to their monagamous relationships or polygamous relationships with trusted partners.

I understand your side of the argument but there is obviously a opposing side to this argument being completly overlooked, because an explination cannot be given where individuals are infected but abstinent from sexual relations and cases where neither partner is infected but the disease has appeared in the individuals.

Btw, The World Health Organization estimates that only 500,000 vials of smallpox vaccine are currently being stored (basically no one in the world at this time is vaccinated against smallpox anymore. An outbreak in this day in age could quickly become a pandemic.)

Have a great Day! :D
ANNND, Kestrel_eye I know that sometimes taking anti-biotics can actually cause a vaginal/fungal disease. Partial Big Pharma cover-up? Probably! They are the only ones with enough money to care to fund a research project that would look for the origins of chlymidia. But why fund a research project when part of the problem could be a product the pharmacutical companys are producing?
Jessyjames. We know its an std.....but HOW does one get it?? Ok, its passed through sex. How did the first person get it? Thats what we are trying to find out. Especially one that is not sexually active or with couples that are faithful to one another for years. And VANCE is not answering anything....simple as that. Explain this. I was a virgin, so was my boyfriend at the time. We had sex and we both got chlamydia. We've only been with one another. How did we get it??????
You either had a false positive or your bf slept with someone else.
The best professional answer to give to this question if someone who claim to be a professional doctor or a master in biology, or Phd, is "we don't have enough information as to to where it originated from" then to said someone else information is false but yet fail to provide anyone with an accurate enough answer but claim to be a professional in what you do for a living, but y'all lable one as being ignorant because they came up with maybe the best scenario that which you have no answer for..... THAT'S CRAZY! Lmmfao....  
Hi, folks,

It may not be immediately apparent, but the original post in this thread is several years old and it appears that all viewpoints on this issue have been presented.  Since the purpose of this forum is prevention of STDs, including chlamydia, and a circular debate on its origins isn't likely to further the purpose, we're closing this discussion to further posts.  If you'd like to post a question about your own situation, please do so by starting a new thread.  Thank you!

Claire

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE
Yes my man I believe the question everyone wants an answer to is this, if chlamydia can only be contracted by sexual transmission from someone that already has it, then how did the first person to contract it do so? It had to originate somewhere and it wasn't "from someone that already had it" you know what I mean?
how did the first human catch chlamydia ? did some one have sex with a animal ? being it it a bacteria can i sit on the ground bear *** and catch it if the bacteria is lying there?can a dog pass it throw one of thows awkward greetings that dogs always do and maybe a woman without panties get licked can she catch it that way ? and if it is a simple cure why havent thay gave everyboby on the planet a pill and eradicated it all?
This an interesting exchange. However, there are many scientifically nonsensical comments that display ignorance about evolution and the science behind it.  Pretty much the same questions could be asked about every bacteria or virus that causes human disease:  chlamydia, TB, staph, HSV,  malaria, influenza, syphilis, anthrax, and on and on.  Virtually all disease-causing agents evolved as humans themselves evolved, with each influencing the other's evolution to arrive at current symptoms, complications, routes of transmission, and so on.