STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia reinfection after treatment?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia reinfection after treatment?

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia. Me and my partner took medication. I took 1gr of azytromicine at once. My Girlfriend took a different dosage as she has a weak stomag. She took a 3 day cure of azytrmocinin, taking 500mg for 3 days in a row.

We had unprotected intercourse 8 days AFTER I took the single dose and AFTER she started her 3-day cure.
However it was only 6 days AFTER she took the LAST pil, not 7 days.

We are wondering wether we could have infected each other again as it wasn't 7 days after she took het last pil.

In case of reinfection could we both have reinfected each other, or only from her to me?

Retesting needed?

How long does it take for the symptoms to go away completely?
I noticed a bit of sticky discharge this morning (day 9) like before the treatment.

Welcome to the Forum.  I'll try to help.  Re-testingg of your GF may be in both of your best interests.  Your re-exposure was not a major concern however your GF took a lower than recommended dose of azithromycin on a schedule that has never been studied.  There is a chance that this treatment might work less well than the recommended therapy.  As a result, my advice would be for her to have a re-test.  I feel less strongly that you need repeat testing.   Retesting should not be done until at least two weeks following the completion of therapy however.  Should her repeat test be positve, you both woul dneed to be re-treated, ust to be sure that you had not been re-infected.  

As for the discharge present on day 9 following treatment, if this was present on awakening, this is not uncommon. On the other hand, if it is present at other times of the day, there is some benefit to you being re-tested as well.

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
So you advise retesting because she did not had the single 1mg dosage? although her dosage is 500mg higher than mine, only spread over 3 days?

I just looked for the dosage on the internet, emedexpert and other website suggests even a lower alternative regime: 500 mg in a single dose on day 1 followed by 250 mg once daily for 2 days. But I'm not an expert.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1655056

If dosage would have been ok, would 8 days after the start of the cure be safe to start having intercourse?

Sorry for being so worried.
Youur follow-up questions are repetitive.  As I said, she did not take the medication as recommended for treatmetn of chlamydia.  Data from early in the development of azithromycin showed the single large dose to be more effective than haqving the medication spread out over time.  I participated in the trials which led to the approval of this drug for chlmydia treatment.  If you wish to go with other sources, that is up to you.  EWH