STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia test-POSITIVE

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia test-POSITIVE

Dear Doctors,

i have sent you several questions about my two exposures (unportected oral and protected vaginal and oral) 15-12 weeks ago. I teste negative for HIV.

Today I got my STDS test (my doctor said that my geo tongue could be another std). I am positive for chlamydia (by PCR).

I read several posts from you and I can believe my bad luck. Is poossible to get Chl. of oral sex?

I have to say it to my wife (she has sore throat, a like-herpes zoster lesion in her back) and it is so hard

The Chlamydia can do my HIV results false?

Thank you and God bless you
Welcome to the STD forum.  I reviewed your previous discussions on the HIV forum.  I'm sorry to hear your inflated fears about your oral symptoms are continuing.

What specimen was positive for chlamydia by PCR?  Urethral swab, urine, oral, etc?  Chlamydia is rarely if ever acquired by oral sex; and oral chlamydia would not cause geographic tongue etc.  Alternatively, are you sure it was a PCR test?  If you actually had a blood test for chlamydia, you can ignore it.

There are no medical conditions that have any effect on HIV test results.  If you have chlamydia, it makes no difference.  For sure you don't have HIV.

Let me know the details of your positive chlamydia test and maybe I will have an additional comment.

HHH, MD
Dear Doctor,

The specimen was urethral swab and it was PCR (confirmed in my results paper)

Protected vaginal sex could be the cause?

Thank you
I forgot to mention taht several WBC werre found in the specimen
The chlamydia PCR on urethral swab is highly accurate, so your chlamydial infection is confirmed.  There are only 4 possible sources:  a) Oral sex is a very unlikely source, but I cannot say it is impossible; b) an unrecognized condom failure; c) you were infected sometime in the past, if there were other sexual exposures in the past few months; or d) your wife is infected and you caught it from her.  How long have you been together?  Is there any possibility your wife has had other sex partners in the past year?

You may never know exactly when and where you were infected.  The important thing is that both you and your wife need to be treated for chlamydia, and she should be examined and tested for it.  However, chlamydia does not explain your wife's symptoms.

Let me know how it all works out after your wife has been examined and tested and you both have been treated.
Thank you doctor. I am in panic since a condom failure brings me to think about a hiv risk.

I am married from 2008 and i can assure that my wife has not been with anybody. We have a baby of 5 months and she tested when she was pregnant.

Thank u again and will post soon but i am thinking the worts things
Oh good grief.  You and your wife are sharing a potentially very serious problem with chlamydia, and you're still focused on HIV.  Your test results PROVE you were not infected with HIV.  Please don't mention it again.  If you keep ignoring the advice you have had about it, this and your other threads will be deleted from the forum.

Do not post anything more on MedHelp until you report the results of your wife's testing and your treatment for chlamydia.
Dear Doctor,

My update:

My doctor prescribed me doxycycline twice a day during 7 days. My wife is waiting date for a vaginal swab.
One just question: After my exposure (where I got Chl.), namely three weeks, my wife had sinusitis (sinus infection) and her doc prescribed her amoxiciline for 8 weeks. Is possible that that treatment worked and she is clean now?

She has also diagnosed with Herpes Zoster in her back, I hope that this is not related to any STD,

Thank you very much

Yes, amoxicillin often is effective in treating chlamydia.  There is no point in her being tested while taking amoxicillin; it will definitely be negative and would be a waste of money.  A few weeks after you have both completed your antibiotics, another test can be done to be sure there is no lingering infection.

Your wife's sinusitis and herpes zoster have nothing to do with your sexual exposure or your positive chlamydia test.

That will end this thread.  Take care.