STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia test results

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia test results

I am a married men with a 6 months old baby. My wife is pregnant again and during the regular tests, they found out that she has chlamydia. Doctor said either you or your husband must had sex with somebody else, because the last test that she had was 1 year ago and she had nothing back then.
I am 100% sure that I did not even thought about having sex with someone else. We are together with my wife for 18 months and the last time I had sex with someone else was 22 months ago.
I do not think that she had sex with anyone else either.
Please, help me solve this puzzle.
Is it possible that me or her had this from previous relationships at least 22 months ago and it just popped up in the test now? What is the possiblity of getting this desease other then sex? My wife had a c-section, is it possible to get it during operation or afterwards? She also has HPV, is there any relationship with HPV and this one. Is it possible that HPV effected the tests 1 year ago and this one did not show up.
Please, answer my questions ASAP. I need you help. Thanks.
The three main possibilities are:  1) One of you indeed brought a new infection into your relationship.  I cannot judge that possibility; only you and your wife know the truth of your sexual histories.  From my perspective as an STD expert, of course this is always my initial assumption.  But I do not know you or the nature of your and your wife's sexual lives or fidelity to one another; you have to judge that yourself.  If you haven't had sex with anyone else and are confident your wife has not, then this simply is not a possiblity and you can disregard it.

2) Your wife had a false positive test result.  Depending on exactly which test was done, this could be a good bet or an unlikely one.  Some of the older chlamydia tests (e.g., the Gen-Probe company's Pace II test) frequently give false positive results.  The newer ones (PCR and related test techologies) do not commonly give false positive results, although to some extent this is possible with any lab test.

3) You or your wife has been carrying chlamydia since before your relationship began.  The longest documented chlamydia carriage is 4 years.  It's rare, but it happens. (In this case, it is possible that her earlier test missed a low-grade infection.)

The chlamydia and HPV issue are unrelated.  And no, there is no way to catch chlamydia except sexually.

Bottom line:  To be safe, both you and your wife need to be treated.  If you and she are mutually confident in each other's fidelity, then one of the other 2 explanations has to be true.  In that case, I suggest you forget the whole thing once you have been treated.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, chlamydia results was started.