STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia will not go away!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia will not go away!

Doctor,
About a month and a half ago i started having symptoms of an STD.  It burned when i peed, i had some itching in the tip of my penis, and when i sqeezed the tip of my penis, mild discharge came out.  I went and got tested and it came back as Chlamydia.  I was prescribed 7 days of doxycyline.  When i finished, i still had symptoms so i called my doctor and he gave me a gram of zithromax.  I took it and 7 days later i still had symptoms.  I was tested again and was still positive for chlamydia.  He gave me another gram of zithromax.  Again, 7 days later, i still had symptoms and was given levaquin.  I took 500mgs of levaquin twice daily for 7 days.  After this AGAIN i still had symptoms.  I was then given flagyl 3 times daily 500mgs, for possible trichonomis treatment.  I still continue to have symptoms.  I have taken each medication like prescribed and told to.  I have not had any sexual contact whatsoever since the diagnosis. I have a urologists appointment but i cannot get in until February.  I really don't know what to do.  so,
1. Is there a strain that is resistant to all antibiotics?
2. What other medications can i take to cure it?
3. If not chlamydia, what else is possible to have?
4. Have you ever heard of this before?
The modern tests for chlamydia are highly reliable, so you can be sure you had it.  But I say "had" with care, not "have".  Chlamydia cannot persist after the treatments you have received. Clearly you had (and have) more than chlamydia, and you already know your doctor suspected trichomonas as a possible additional problem.  To your specific questions:

1) No chlamydia resists both azithromycin and doxycycline.  Your chlamydial infection has been cured and now something else explains your symptoms.

2) I cannot speculate on other treatments, not knowing for sure what you have, and in any case no online provider can give specific treatment advice.

3) The first thing is to see a provider who understands STDs well, to determine whether you have persistent infection at all; it might be a post-infectious inflammation that will just clear up over time.  Your doc has done right to treat you for possible trichomonas.  Conceivably you have a bacterial urinary tract infection, but that's uncommon in healthy men.  Maybe herpes, although that's unlikely if you don't have any open sores.

4) "Heard of it?"  Yes, all the time.  Persistent urethritis, or the  symptoms of it, is quite common.

At this point, I suggest you keep the appointment with the urologist.
But don't panic.  This is an issue of comfort, not dangerous; it is unlikely you have anything that seriously threatens your health.  To be maximally safe, avoid sex for the time being, but otherwise try to enjoy the holidays.

Oh, and make sure your sex partner(s) get treated for chlamydia.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
When i was tested i believe i was tested for herpes and everything else.  I had both the blood test and swab test done. So i am pretty sure herpes rules out.  I also forgot to say i got an urinalysis for bacteria and it came back negative.  So then basically with what you said, i t must be urethritis.
But you said i had chlamydia, are you saying that it is still showing up in cultures because it is killed but still in the process of being removed from the body?
You have it right:  the test remains postive for a time after treatment.  The positive result after 7 days treatment doesn't mean you weren't cured, and that test should not have been done.  It probably wasn't a culture, but a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), which detects the organism's DNA.  DNA can persist for as long as 3-4 weeks after treatment, even though the bacteria have been killed.  CDC and all experts recommend that repeat tests not be done until at least 3-4 weeks after treatment, for exactly that reason.  
So then after my flagyl treatment i should be tested again correct? It has been about 2 weeks since my last dose to cure chlamydia and it will be about 3 and a half after my flagyl.  so ill get tested again and see what happens.  i will message you the results..

Thank you very much!!!!!!
There really is no need to retest for chlamydia.  CDC and all experts recommend not retesting in the few weeks to check for cure; the drugs are that good, so it isn't necessary. Instead, we recommend retesting 3-4 months later.  That's designed primarily to detect reinfection, since up to 20% of people with chlamydia catch it again in that time.

In any case, follow your own provider's advice.
A related discussion, It really will not go away...what did I do wrong? was started.
I've been diagnosed with chlamydia and I am currently takin doxycycline to cure it. Will the infection be out of my system completly after the treatment is done?
A related discussion, treatment was started.