STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia

I was just told I have Chlamydia. I do not know much about it except that it is a STD. I know that some how Chlamydia has to start somewhere. How does it start up? I have looked and looked and found nothing except that it is transmitted sexually. I have really been stressed out about this. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean "How does it start up?"  As you say, it is sexually transmitted; you got it from a sex partner, that person got it from some other sex partner, and so it goes--probably tens of thousands of years back into human history.  Chlamydia is one of the most common STDs; 3-4 million people in the U.S. are newly infected each year.

There are many sources of information about chlamydia.  Start with the link to STD Quick Facts and Articles at the top of this forum.  Other excellent sources are the American Social Health Association (www.ashastd.org) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (www.cdc.gov, then search STD and/or chlamydia).

The good news is that most chlamydial infections aren't serious once treated.  Finish whatever antibiotic treatment you were given and follow your doctor's advice.  Make sure your sex partner(s) is/are treated.  And consider getting a follow-up test in 3-4 months; reinfections are very common.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
I had it 16 years ago. I don't understand the nature of your question. What is it exactly that you are asking? I will try to help you.
I figured since it could be treated by an antibiotic and bc it starts by a bacteria....is ther anyway for the disease to just start up?
No, chlamydial infection doesn't "just start up".  You have to catch it from a sex partner.

HHH, MD
A question asked previously from j86 that I still do not see the answer to.  Besides getting Chlamydia from a partner and he or she getting it from someone else etc. etc. Where exactly did this bacteria derive from.  It had to had have a beginning.
A related discussion, Chlamydia has an origin, so where is the origin? was started.
A related discussion, chlyamydia was started.
Hi doctor- I was recently told by my girlfriend that she tested positive for chlamydia are there ways that it is contracted thru having unprotected sex while having an open sore on the genitals of the male without being contracted thru another sex partner ?