STDs Expert Forum
Chronic Prostatitis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chronic Prostatitis

History:
I have diagnosised with Prostatitis. Performed TRUS and showed calicifactions. Also performed Urethral swab culture after prostate massage and postive for Chlamydia using Flurosecnce antibody the Dr. Claimed. Performed Chlamydia by PCR-DNA but result negative!!! very confusing..., now blood test for antibody and result pending...

2 Questions:
Now under treatment with Proquin(cipro family) I read some articles that they mention Chlamydia is resistence to antibiotic(you cannot kill DNA). Also the calcification might be due to my immunity system shielding the bacteria.

What is the best treatment to Chlamydia?
Dr proposed direct injection of cocktel of antibiotics to the prostate. Is ita good way to do it?
Prostatitis is not an STD and chlamydia doesn't cause it.  If the fluorescent antibody test was accurate, then you have 2 separate problems:  chronic prostatitis (of which the nonbacterial, i.e. non-infectious variety is by far the most common); and chlamydial urethritis (probably asymptomatic).

But most likely you didn't have chlamydia at all.  The fluorescence tests for chlamydia are old tests, not used much anymore (at least not in the US), because they have been supplanted by better ones, like PCR. Fluorescence tests often give false positive results and PCR almost never gives false negative tests.

That said, to be absolutely certain, it would be good to be treated with an antichlamydial drug, to remove all doubt.  Proquin is just a new brand of ciprofloxacin, in an 'extended release' forumlation.  As you say, it is not reliable against chlamydia.  The easiest treatment is azithromycin 1.0 g in a single oral dose; or doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 7 days.  Or you could speak to your provider about using a differerent quinolone antibiotic, like levofloxacin (Levaquin).  That drug is reliable against chlamydia and also is commonly used in treating prostatitis.

However, chlamydia treatment won't make any difference in your prostatitis or its symptoms.  Most cases of prostatitis are not due to infection of any kind, and therefore symptoms do not go away with antibiotics.  Most men just learn to live with the symptoms.  Serious harm is rare from chronic nonbacterial prostatitis, either for the patient or his sex partners.

I have never heard of injecting antibiotics into the prostate.  I wouldn't let anybody do it to me.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Thank you very much Doctor.

I start taking Doxycycline.
I believe that There is a confusion about the impact of antibiotics on Clamydia (chlamydia).
There is a research artcile that it mentioned the clamydia (chlamydia) can be resistant to ANY antibiotics. Chlamydia is not bacteria and not virus either as this artcle mentioned. Of course, I am not sure about how valid this theory is.

Best regards,
You are wrong.   There is no "confusion" about the effectiveness of antibiotics against chlamydia.  Chlamydia is ALWAYS senstive to the recommended antibiotics like doxycycline and azithromycin.  It is a bacteria; there is no question about that. (The doubt about virus versus bacteria was resolved 40 years ago.) Any website that has has information different from this is being run by people who are either naive, irresponsible, or have bad intentions.  Stay away from them.  
Thank you very much Doctor, appritiated your help.
BTW, I have just received a blood test for full panel IGM, IGG and IGA for Chlamydia. Only Chlamydia Pneumonia IGG was above the threshold. I think that Doctor with fluoscence testing got confused with this.

Best regards
A related discussion, prostatitis was started.