STDs Community
Cipro for early stage prostatitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Cipro for early stage prostatitis

Hoping to help someone and for someone to help me.
Today is 2-5-14 and I was just diagnosed with prostatitis by a local Kaiser urologist.  
I do have a new sexual partner.  The sex started around mid December 2014.  We had sex several times protected except for a little rubbing(doh!) and oral(both.)  We spoke before and are currently speaking about stds, and I believe her when she says she was tested and only slept with the guy she was tested with.  This leads me to believe it is some “non STD” I acquired from her(maybe ecoli or the like.)  Other than her I have only had one sexual partner in well over a year, and we were both tested.  In addition, I haven't slept with her in several months.
I’m 44 years old and started having burning penile tip pain around January 7th, 2014.  It was enough to wake me up, but not enough to get very worried.  It was obvious something was seriously wrong, but I was dealing with another serious health issue at the time(due to an eye accident) so didn’t do anything about it.
About January 26th I took a urine test 4 days after starting 100mg doxycycline/day for my eye issue.  
On the 27th I saw my doctor who said both of the standard std’s tested and white blood cell count were normal/negative, but I was on antibiotics for 4 days before peeing.  Since I had serious symptoms he upped my does of doxy for 10 days to 100mg twice/day.  I will take my last pill in the morning.
The 10 days of doxy and a shot of ceftriaxone did virtually nothing.  Maybe some mild improvement, but pain still at night mostly(enough to wake me up every night.)
Prostate had moderate size but was normal otherwise.  Everything else normal with standard check up.  I think the main thing he is going off is my age and lack of any bacterial infection in my urine test.  It sure seems like it is an infection of some type when I wake up in the middle of the night.
He gave me the option of Cipro 500mg twice daily for 2 weeks and I have it now.  Haven’t started it yet.  
I’m thinking since I’m still relatively early in the prostatitis disease process this might help?
The Cipro stories scare the crap out of me, but so do the prostatitis stories.
Any input is appreciated.  I will be sure to update my story as it progresses.
Thanks!

I've never had an STD before in my life(that I know of.)
I'm hsv1 and hsv2 negative or was as of a couple of years ago and have no reason to believe this is not still the case.
What is your question?
Should I take the Cipro?  I guess I have no choice.  The doctor didn't seem like the outcome would be good.

Is 2 weeks enough?

Is there a better drug?

What about semen culture.  Can this be helpful?

thanks.
Sorry can't give you medication advice if you should or should not take something. I see no reason not to listen to your Dr.
There is a very stable pattern for when the pain comes.  
It is almost always just after I get to sleep for a period of 2-4 hours.  Then it just stops.  It is like having malaria...going through a cycle.  I'd call it a 5 on the pain scale.  Enough to wake me up and feel a bit of a feeling of impending doom.  Something provoking odd, bad dreams.

I can take a 1 hour nap in the afternoon and have no pain.  Bizarre.

Never any pain after ejaculation.

Decided to take Bactrim DS instead of Cipro.

I'm recording my progress if anyone wants to take a look:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HEMeNpYIQTvM_IBTko9NPO1tlArKCEdlsKlSs3jg7Ww/edit?usp=sharing
Some quotes I've gathered during this madness.   Some will make you feel good, some bad. Some are for bacterial and some non-bacterial.  If you want to read the details just cut and paste a sentence into google:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lWni7y7AbWTDAXAGbCFdHy1rwCa-B2XlhCN3RIPN3IU/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks for the input.  
Question for you or anybody.
I'm just past the 3 week of Bactrim DS, and for the most part my symptoms are completely gone.   Doesn't seem to be a placebo effect cause the symptoms went away shortly after starting pill then came back strong before week 2 was over.  
Unclear to me whether it is just the normal waxing and waning or the drug is doing something.  I have read "Headache in the Pelvis", and that sure seems to point to muscular problems.  When I am super tense I can feel a tiny bit of pain that I can make go away by relaxing.  

My concern is whether 4 weeks is enough for Bactrim.  Seems like since I have it on the run I want to make darn sure that this thing goes away.  I seem some people recommending 6 weeks.  The stuff messes me up(mainly my eyes), so I'd rather not, but I want to make sure this stuff is gone.
Also, anybody have any input on the prostate massage for getting rid of the pockets?  Tried it once.  Not sure if I'm flexible/long enough to do it right.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!