STDs Expert Forum
Cloudy urine, no WBC's, Chlamydia?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Cloudy urine, no WBC's, Chlamydia?

25y, male

I'm having cloudy urine on a daily base. In the morning my urine is clear. In the afternoon it starts to be cloudy.

I had a lab test done. The test did not found white or red bloods cells in my urine.

Can the cloudynes still be caused by Chlamydia or Gonnorea?

Because if the cloudyness is caused by one of these STD's, it would be due to pyuria and white bloods cells should be found in my urine. Right?

Regards,
Jan
Welcome to the STD forum.

I agree exactly with the advice you had on the urology forum.  Your own statement is exactly correct:  if caused by an STD, urine cloudiness would be due to pyuria (white blood cells).  Cloudy urine without WBC is never due to infection of any kind, but generally is related to fluid and food intake and urine acid/alkalinity balance. The most common specifiuc cause is phosphate crystals, which clears with urine acidification -- exactly as you described on the urology forum.  Your statement on that forum about chlamydia altering urine acid-alkaline balance is untrue; I have never heard of such a thing.

If you are at risk for STD (unprotected sex with new or multiple partners, etc), then for peace of mind you might visit your local health department STD clinic or your primary care provider and request a urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  You can expect negative results -- but if positive, it is unrelated to your cloudy urine.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your quick reply. It gives me some peace of mind.

I also had a chlamdia en gonorrea test done, but don't have the results yet.

As soon as I have them I will keep you posted.

Kind regards
Jan
My doc just let me know that a minimal amount of WBC's was found in my urine, the gonorea was negative and no crystals were found. (still waiting for the chlamydia result).

Can a minimal amount of WBC's be pyuria and form cloudyness of the urine?

Odd that no crystals have been found. When I add a drop of acid in my strong cloudy urine, it clears up immediately. Strange!
You really should drop this entire line of reasoning.  In my 30+ years in the STD business, I have never seen or heard of any case of gonorrhea or chlamydia that presented with cloudy urine as a symptom.  Technically WBCs in the urine could make it cloudy, but usually not.  The inflammation in these STDs is limited to the urethra; after washout by bladder urine, there would not be enough WBC to make the urine cloudy.  And if there were, that would mean very dramatic urethral inflammation, which would have to be apparent as a very obvious abnormal discharge of pus from the penis.  Even in standard UTI, the urine usually is only faintly cloudy, if at all.

Rely on the lab test results for chlamydia and gonorrhea when you receive them.  Forget everything else.

This thread is over.