Cluster of Bumps on My Buttocks
I currently have a cluster of bumps on my right buttock.  It does not hurt but it itches alot and it tingles sometimes.  It started itching on Monday and the blisters started on tuesday.  I went to an urgent care doctor on tuesday afternoon and they said that it looks like it could be herpes.  This is the third time that this has happened in almost a year.  The first time no scar was leftand it came on my left buttock if I am not mistaken.  But the second time, which happened about 4-6 months ago, left a scar on my right buttock.  Now for the third time the clusters are back and this time they came near where the second set let the scar.  After extensive research on the web for the past day and a half I read that herpes will come in the gential area.  I have never experienced any irritation or suspicious bumps around my vagina.  I also read that the cluster of bumps would be painful and the cluster is not painful at all.  The doctor prescribed valtrax and this is the second day that I have been taking the medicine and it does not seem to be getting better.  So my question is could this cluster of bumps be something else other than herpes.

Noname
Hi there -

Its unfortunate that no one cultured this, as that could have helped get some answers.

You don't have to have outbreaks on your genitals to have genital herpes - you can get outbreaks anywhere in the boxer short region.

At this point, I'd ask for a type specific IgG herpes blood test.  If you have type 2, you can assume that its genital, but if you have type 1, it's probably oral, though it could be what is causing the symptoms on your butt.

Valtrex can take a few days to work.

Aj
So there is no way that this can be something else?  Which type do u think would create something like this HSV 1 or HSV 2.  Is it possible that this could have come from a cold sore?  If my partner had one and performed oral sex on me could I contract HSV 1 that way?

Noname
Oh its quite possible its something else - sorry I didn't state that clearly.  It could be a mild staph infection, a fungal thing, etc.  That's why its unfortunate that no one cultured it.

Yes, that's how you would get genital hsv1.

Aj
So even with it reoccurring more than twicw there is a possibility that it could be something else?  What is herpavac?  Is that some type of cure?  If I do have herpes what is the likely hood that i could give it to my partner.  Is it possible, if it is herpes, that I could have contracted 10 years ago and now it is popping up?

Noname

Noname
OK breathe hon lol.

Herpevac is a vaccine for those who don't have herpes at all, and its still in the research stage.  Its nowhere near ready to be given to the public.

Yes, there is still a possiblity of it being something else, and you should have a test to find out if you even have herpes before worrying about it, ok?  If you do have ghsv1, you could pass that to someone, but its very very unlikely that you would.

Aj
I just wanted to thank you for your help.  I am sorry about asking so many questions bu I am scared.  I've lived 32 years disease free and now this is driving me crazy.  Once again, Thank You!!!

Noname
I know this is an old story, but its been happening tome too. What can I do?