Cold Sore?
Hi All,

Quick question. I'm 25 years old and have NEVER had a cold sore. I was actually given a blood test last year for HSV-1 and HSV-2 and both came back negative. I did however, since then date someone who had cold sores.

Here's my question, I am actually just getting done with being sick (i.e., slight fever, extremely swollen glands, etc.). No cough or stuffy nose but just a really bad sore throat. I just finished taking the Z-Pack last night and am starting to a feel a bit better however my throat is still somewhat scratchy. My question is that a few days ago, I believe my lip my have split due to the cold and actually developed into a bit of a sore. It was very sensitive to the touch however, it officially split about 2 days ago and is already nearly 100% healed as I have been actively putting vaseline on it. When I look at it in the mirror however, it looks somewhat circular in shape and is a little red and swollen around the outside. I'd go to the derm to get a swab test done to test for HSV however, there is literally no puss or anything leaking from my lip itself.

My question is does this sound like a cold sore or just a really really bad section of chapped lip? Also, I had made out with my girlfriend the other night under the impression that it was just a chapped lip and then she proceeded to give me oral sex for just a little bit. Even if this was a cold sore, does that mean I just gave myself genital herpes???? Please advise as this is a bit of a stressful situation for me. Thanks.

-BigBoi223
Hi Guys,

Additionally I thought it'd be important to note that at no time did I EVER see any white blisters appear on my lip. It was seriously just swollen for a little bit and I could feel it kinda splitting and then bam, it split and was like an open sore. Let me know if this sounds like a cold sore or not when you can. Thanks.

-BigBoi223
Post in the herpes community.