STDs Expert Forum
Cold Sores - Valacyclovir vs Valtrx

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Cold Sores - Valacyclovir vs Valtrx

1) I have the beginnings of a cold sore on the lip.  For Valacyclovir and Valtrex the recommended dosage is 2000mg every 12 hours...total of 4000mg in 24 hours.  I have 2000mg of Valtrex and 2000mg Valacyclovir from prior outbreaks.  Can I take them together for the some effect?  Or do I need to take the 4000mg total dose with the same drug?
2) I am getting cold sores on the lip up to 3 times a year.  There is no common catalyst.  Each outbreak if not treated early is as severe as all the rest.  From what I've read this is unlikely.  Do you have any comments, suggestions or recommendations on how I should deal with this or why this may be happenning?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Welcome to the STD forum.  Oral herpes isn't an STD, I'm but happy to answer.  (In the future, you can use the MedHelp herpes forum.)

1) Valacyclovir and Valtrex are identical:  Valtrex is the dominant brand name, valacylcovir the generic name.  Do not take both; it would be an overdose.  (Probably not harmful, but not recommended.)  You get maximum effectiveness against oral herpes with the 2 g (2000 mg) dose taken twice a day apart; higher, more frequent, or more prolonged treatment will make no difference.

2) You are typical in not having an identifed trigger of your outbreaks.  Most people cannot pinpoint particular events.  As for the continuing severity and frequency, that also is typical.  Over the long run, the frequency might decline -- but for the first few years, most people have a steady rate of outbreaks.  However, I'm not an expert in oral herpes; Terri Warren, moderator of the herpes forum, might have further thoughts about this.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
On re-reading your question, maybe I misunderstood.  You probably are not asking if you can double the dose, but whether it would be OK to take 2 g of one and then 2 g of the other.  Is that right?  That would be fine, since they are the same drug.