STDs Expert Forum
Confused about Blood Test Chlamydia results???

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Doc.- I posted previously in Mid December (unprotected one time goof up with co-worker, then tickle in my pickle) and I know that you told me I HAVE NO STD, but just to make myself feel better I took a whole pile of blood test on my own dime at 8.5 weeks.  I took these because the tickle in has come back on and off a couple of times, as well as off and on pain in testicles, and I just wanted to completely rule out STD's before going to a urologist. I have appointment tommorrow.
Well I got the test results back and HIV was negative, Herpes was negative, Syphalis was negative but they also did a blood test for Chlamydia.  The test for Chlamydia confused me as I have always understood that you could not do a blood test for this, but they assured me you could.

The results for Chlamydia read as follows:

Chlamydia Trachomatis Ab, IgM 1:128   ALERT ALERT  Neg:<1:8

I got these back and freaked a little and took them to my GP.  He said you can not test for Chlamydia with a blood test and this just showed I had it at some point.  He did not feel I should retest via swab.  He did however look at the peice of paper for a long time (about 5 minutes and did not seem sure of his answer).  He also made the coment 1:128 was REALLY high and discounted it as a false test of somesort.

I am just looking for a second opionion.  I really did these test to move on and get past my anxiety but this has definately been a bump in the road.  Does this test mean anything or did I just throw money away?

Your GP is right:  there is no reliable blood test for chlamydial infection.  Tests like the one you had sometimes are used for epidemiologic studies, or to evaluate infertile women.  As your GP said, the best such a test can do is indicate a possibility of infection sometime during your life, and even for that purpose the test is unreliable.  They are worthless for diagnosing current infection.  Yes, it was a waste of money.

Having said that, chlamydia is the most common of all treatable STDs; and although often asymptomatic, it is the most common cause overall of mild urethral/urinary symptoms in men (the tickle in your pickle).  I cannot understand why your urologist did a blood test rather than just collecting a urine sample for accurate chlamydia testing.  Just to be safe, you might ask your GP to do that test now.  If it is negative, you are home free.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I guess I forgot to mention that I was tested previously for Chlym. 3 days after exposure with swab- negative and treated with Zithromax (4 pills at once).  Also female tells me she tested negative as well 2 weeks after encounter.  This was also my doc's reasoning for not retesting which makes sense.  Just concerned I guess by the ALERT ALERT!
Hi, You tested at 3 days for chlamydia which was negative but you also say you had treatment for chlamydia ( which was the 4 zithromax tabs) so even if you had it first time when testing you would have cured it with the tablets which makes the second test kind of irrelevent as it would be negative anyway, but the doc will tell you more about the blood test. ( i have never heard of a blood test for chlamydia so the docs response will be informative.) good luck
That explains it.  On MedHelp, the forum moderator does not normally see any comments until after posting his response to the original question.  

Disregard my retesting advice above.  It is possible you had a false negative urine test; 3 days probably is too soon to pick up all infections.  Most likely you were not infected at all; but if you were, the azithromycin would have cured it.

ALL FORUM USERS TAKE NOTE:  For a proper response, you need to assure that all pertinent information is in the original question, not in a comment.

HHH, MD
I tested postive for Chlaymedia and after finishing all antibiotics I went and got retested 6 days after completing antibiotics. I was also menstrating during the cervical swab. Could I have produced a false negative because it was to soon after taking antibiotics or because I was using tampons upon cervical swab??