STDs Community
Could my mouth ulcer be syphilis ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Could my mouth ulcer be syphilis ?

I had unprotected oral with a man with ejaculation last month.  I got a very painful ulcer ( white in the middle,, probably 1 or 2 mm in size ) situated just beneath the gum, lower teeth (inner side of gums, not outside adjacent to lips) and not on my lips, tongue or palate, which I have seen Dr Hook state, are the main sites of formation for chancres. As I mentioned, it was very sensitive to food and hot and cold drinks. Although the timing seems to be right for this ulcer I have been reading here that syphilis chancres are painless and reddish brown in color. I must say that I have had huge amounts of sweets and lots of beer in the past few weeks and almost 8 days on the ulcer seems to be be getting better (Dr Hansfield has stated chancres usually go within 3-4 weeks). I have pressed on it with my tongue so much (since the pain calms me down that it may not be syphilis) that it's almost becoming numb.
1- What are the chances of this ulcer being a syphilis chancre ?
2- I haven't had antibiotics in almost 2 years and I think my body will respond well. I have read that penicillin 2.4mu once a weak for 2 or 3 weeks would almost certainly get rid of a possible syphilis infection. Should I self-treat myself ?
3- I have read that HIV is not a concern for my kind of exposure, please tell me if I can rest assure about HIV.

Thank you very much.
usually these are just regular old canker sores and not anything syphilis related.you can get syphilis orally from performing oral sex but the risk of such is very low.

bottom line is, if you are concerned, follow up with syphilis blood testing 6 weeks post encounter.

we always recommend protected sexual contact - it saves you worrying, saves you testing and protects you also!!

grace

grace
I'm sorry to bother you again, One last question. My canker sore is clearing up and it's about the size of a dot now (it has cleared up in almost 10 days).
Now I have a throat infection and I feel as though it's going down to my chest a bit like bronchitis. My oral exposure happened 1 month ago. Could this be throat gonorrhea ? It is very hard for me to get an STD test in the place I'm in right now. These things are regarded taboo here and frowned upon. I'm sorry for bothering you so much. I have no one else to talk to about this.
Is there an anti-biotic I can take which can take care of a strep throat AND gonorrhea AND possible syphilis infection at the same time ??
Please help me. Thank you.
Hello Grace,
I waited a day for a reply (mostly yours), but everyone seemed to be busy. As I mentioned before I got a terrible sore throat yesterday and went to the doctor. I asked him to prescribe me one injection of Ceftriaxone (I asked for 250mg, but since we don't have it here he gave me Ceftriaxone1g) and Doxycycline for 20 days (100mg/twice a day), and he did. I know that Penicillin 2.4mu is the preferred treatment for syphilis, but I thought it might not be effective if I were to have throat gonorrhea. So, I thought that with these medications I may cover the possible risk of both gonorrhea and syphilis and maybe chlamydia. It was probably a dumb thing to do. Would you please be kind enough to give me your view. What do you think ? Am I stupid or am I stupid ?
look around you - tons of people with upper respiratory infections - it's that time of the year again!  no reason to think you have an oral std and no reason for antibiotics unless you test + for strep. you panicked and had lots of needless antibiotic treatment :(
Grace I am so sorry for posting so much, I really am, but I remember that last year I got pityriasis rosea - if i've spelled it correctly- ... I've been searching the net and i have seen that it may be caused by syphilis. I am trembling as I am writing. could this be the case for me. I never had a lesion or ulcer or chancre bfore the Pitiriasis rosea. Could i have had syphilis with the possibility of it jumping assymptomaticly to later stages. I really am sorry for excessive posting. I promise i will go soon. AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.
most people with pityriasis don't have syphilis.

if you are concerned that you had syphilis prior to this, why not just test for it and be done with it?
Hello Grace,

I just wanted to say I got tested 2 days ago and I just got the result. It said NON-REACTIVE "RPR"  :):):):):):):):):):):):):):) I went to the doctor with my result and asked him if the ceftriaxone shot and two doxys (2*100mg) that I had taken the previous day could have caused a false negative and he said no. Of course, being the paranoid bast... that I am I don't believe him. But, I'm gonna try to put this behind me and move forward.
Thank you very much for your support and the help you provide here.