STDs Expert Forum
Crabs and Other STDs

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Crabs and Other STDs
I had protected sex with two sex workers in China a few months ago.  These were fairly high class workers, and the condoms were provided by them without giving me a choice.  I am hoping that means they always use condoms.  The condom didn't break in either case.  Also, they were very careful about washing before and after, and they insisted that I wash before.  I am uncircumcised.

I would like to know.

What are my chances of catching the usual lineup of stds...HIV,Gonorhea,Chlamdia, Trich, etc.,

What are the chances I could have caught HPV, and had no symptoms.

I have had some itching in that region but I haven't seen any crabs or eggs.  How easy are crabs to see?  I saw a black bug on my leg the other day, I thought maybe it was a crab full of blood but I am not sure.  Can crabs scurry across ones skin?

Given the protected sex and lack of any symptoms to suggest STD after "a few months", you can be very confident you weren't infected with any STD.  Of course if you want more reassurance, you can be tested.  (There is no test for HPV, but everybody gets it anyway.  There's no point in either testing for HPV or worrying about it.)

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Sorry I meant what were the chances I could have caught HSV, and had not symptoms?
I forgot to comment on your question about seeing pubic lice (crabs).  They can be missed on casual look, but not hard to see on careful inspection. If you don't see bugs or nits (eggs, which appear as tiny white things clinging to pubic hairs), lice are unlikely. And it would be rare for itching from lice to not show up for several weeks or months.

The chance of transmission of HSV from any particular episode of condom-protected sex is no more than than one in several thousand.

Time to move on.
Wondering if I could post a follow up.  I wanted to be sure so I got a PCR for Gonorhea, and Chlamydia.  I went through a over-the phone service, and they told me to give 20-30 ml of Urine.  The labtech told me to give 50, so I did.  I'm pretty sure she was wrong.  I badly do you expect this would effect the result?
That variation in urine amount will make no difference in the test result.  The result will valid.
Thank you for your help.  The result was negative.  I can sleep again.