STDs Expert Forum
Defecation + Semen/Sperm

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Defecation + Semen/Sperm

Recently, I have notice that when I defecate a substance comes out of my penis. During my bowel movement I have push hard, I also have a low frequency of masturbation and sex. I have had protected sex.The substance looks like sperm or semen, it's texture is the same. The substance only comes out when I have a bowel movement, it has happened once this week and once last week. Do I have an something? Do I have a large prostate?
Welcome back to the forum.

This is a fairly frequent occurrence in many men.  The prostate gland and seminal vesicles -- the sacs in which semen accumulates, waiting for the next ejaculation -- are immediately in front of the rectum.  The combination of straining plus pressure on the prostate and seminal vesicles by the fecal mass expresses semen and/or prostate gland fluids.  In and of itself, it is not abnormal.  However, if it is happening more frequently than before, or if it's an entirely new issue for you, it would be wise to get checked by your primary care provider or a urologist, to be sure nothing more is going on, such as prostatitis.  However, this is not an STD symptom.

Below is another thread on this topic, which in turn has links to two more threads.  In one of them several years ago, I wrote that this happens in "almost all men" from time to time.  It's not that often -- but still, in most cases this is nothing to worry about.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/859854

Regards--  HHH, MD
What is prostatitis caused by?
It happened again during defecation, I urinated and then clear semen texture came out.
Prostatitis is complex; there are several types, some caused by various bacteria and others probably not due to any infection at all.  STDs rarely if ever cause prostatitis.
Should I be alarmed by the the frequency of this?
Alarmed?  No.  But see my original reply.  If this is new, or if it occurs frequently, get professionally evaluated to make sure it's nothing important.
This is not new, I just seemed to notice it. I have contacted my PCP about it thank you,
PCP Test results came out negative for everyting