STDs Community
Desperate: persistent symptoms after STD treatment?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Please help:

six weeks ago I was on a trip and had oral and vaginal sex with a sex worker. It was protected the whole time, except possibly for the beginning where there was hand to penis contact.
The same night I started feeling a slight itching and burning sensation, which got worse the next day. Genitals were reddish. I went to see a doctor that prescribed Miconazole cream twice a day and a single Fluconazole pill for candidiasis. A few days later (a week after the contact), I started feeling pain in my right testicle, frequent urination, and a tingling sensation after peeing. I went to see another doctor, who suspected Chlamydia and gave me 1g of Azythromicin.

Almost a week later, now at home, my symptoms were worse, the pain was bigger, urination the same, and my scrotum was definitely reddish and inflamed. I went to see my GP doctor, who finally did a urinalysis that showed no sign of infection (leukocytes?). She inspected my genitals and saw that my right epididymis was inflamed and in pain. She prescribed a single dose of Cefixime and a 10 day course of Levofloxacin.
The same day, before taking the meds, I went to a private clinic and had a fast chlamydia and gonorrhoea test done (urethral swab, 20 minutes to get results). They were both negative, the doctor told me the sensitivity for these tests was 93% for chlamydia and 99% for gonorrhoea, that I probably had a non-specific UTI. (by the way only after the swab I started having pain when urinating, which went away slowly over many days)

Started taking my meds, and after a few days I started feeling a little better, but by the end of the 10 days my pain in inflammation returned. My doctor switched my Ciprofloxacin, which I took for 5 days but stopped because I started having ankle pain. She then switched me to Amoxicilin with Clavulanic acid for ten days.
The same story, slight improvement after 3 days, then pain came back again. I went to the ER one bad morning and they did another urinalysis that came back clear.

I started feeling slightly better, but then at the tenth day I masturbated and ejaculation felt like really burning. I have tried masturbating two more times after that and I don´t feel it burning, only some discomfort and a slight burning sensation afterwards. In fact I think the day before masturbating I got aroused and got some precum in my penis, it didn't hurt or anything.
After this, my doctor says she doesn't know anymore. I never had any discharge so she rules out STDs (the one time I had something it was clearly after being aroused a lot, looked like precum). In fact it bothers me that she dismisses STDs for not having discharge, from what I read it might be a common symptom but not necessary.
I still seem to have epididymitis (I feel the pain in my right side) and some inflammation, especially at night if I have been walking around all day. When I wake up I feel better, but start feeling discomfort in an hour or so. I am taking Ibuprofen to carry around my life.

She has had me off antibiotics for a week to do a urine culture (she did not request anything specific, just post-treatment check up). Results should come in a few days. She sent me to see a urologist to make an ultrasound of my testicles, but the calendar is clogged so I am scheduled to have it in three months. I will gather money to have it done in a private clinic, I don't think I can wait that much with my pain.

At this point I am desperate: I don't think it's cancer or anything like that, my main concern at this point is: What do I have? Why doesn't it go away? Can it still be infected with some STD? And most important, **can I pass it on**? Can I resume my sex life?

Please any comment or advice is welcome, and mostly from professionals because I am starting to doubt the quality of my doctor. Thanks
I agree with a Dr that this is probably not a STD. I don't know what it is or can be. The redness might be fungial, but for anything else I suggest another follow up with a Dr.