STDs Community
Did I infect my husband?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Did I infect my husband?

I posted this on another thread, but I think my question is too specific and decided to post it separately.

My husband and I separated for almost two years. Last summer I contracted syphilis (between april and june) but wasn't diagnosed until last march. I was treated with two injections of benzatine penicillin over the course of two weeks. About a month ago I went for a follow up test (VDRL) and the titer had dropped twofolds.

Now, my husband and I finally got back together in june and started having sex again (unprotected oral, anal, vaginal). The doctor had told me that I should abstain from sex only a couple of weeks following treatment, that after a few days people are no longer contagious. However a friend of mine told me she knew a person who had a relapse a couple months after undergoing treatment. (the person being HIV negative)

My question is: Is my husband at any risk of infection wether I'm prone to relapse or not?  

[He hasn't shown any symptoms to date]
Also, some people say that syphilis is only transmitted by direct contact with a sore (I had none), however I've also been told that it can also be transmitted through small lesions caused during sex, which is what worries me in the first place.
it wouldn't be "Relapsing" More so that the treatment didn't work, if you are showing you're not infected then you couldn't have transmitted to your husband unless you had sex with him before the treatment or too soon after the treatment.

You probably did have a sore it most likely was inside your vagina, this is the main reason most women go undiagnosed for so long.
the sores are painless which would be why you never felt it if you did get one inside
Thank you. I really don't believe there were any sores present when I started having sex with my husband. I just heard this case of a person whose titer dropped a couple of folds the first trimester but went up again four/five months later due to treatment failure.

IF this were my case, could I have infected my husband by the time we had sex?

I don't really have any signs or symptoms (a couple of mild headaches and a -little - tiredness at the end of the day, but I think it's due to stress and anxiety, maybe I'm just worried cause I've become paranoid since I heard the story... I'm tense all the time and feel really guilty, I just need an answer that will let be relax a bit before taking my next VDRL in october.)
BUMP

(sorry! But I really need help!)

If I have failed treatment, how likely is it to have infected my husband?? How likely is it to actually fail treatment?
it's not likely at all that your husband would get infected at this point. The treatment actually works well and you waited long enough to resume sex.

did you both cover full std testing, including herpes testing prior to resuming your relationship?

grace
We did and everything turned out alright. Thank you for your response, I had even started feeling psychosomatic. I guess I should resume living my life normally.
sounds like a terrific idea :)