STDs Expert Forum
Did i transfer my genital herpes to my arm?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi doc, about 7 months ago I had a genital herpe outbreak that was only one sore on my testicle, after about a week it went away and it has come back numerous times since then, i avoid contact with the area but at first i didnt know what it was and touched it, have had no sexual activity since then but the other day I was holding my cat when i noticed a white looking bump on my arm about the size of a pimple, it was on the underside of my arm between the wrist and elbow, i picked at it a little bit and since then the bump has gone down but now whats left looks pretty similar to what I had on my genitals, I am very worried about this because i was holding my cat and he might have made contact with this sore, I am wondering if it is possible to get an outbreak in a different spot after this long and I am so afraid i may have gave it to my cat, thanks
Unless you have had a professional diagnosis with laboratory confirmation, do not assume your recurrent testicular lesions is herpes.  The scrotum is an atypical spot for genital herpes recurrences.  Second, anything that has come back "numerous times" in only 7 months is unlikely to be herpes.  Genital herpes rarely recurs more often than every 4-6 weeks, and most cases are 2-4 months apart.  Finally, auto-inoculation of HSV from one body part to another is extremely rare, except during the initial outbreak of herpes--and even then it is uncommon.

My guess is that something other than herpes explains both your scrotal and arm lesions; and certainly herpes isn't the cause of the sore on your arm.  See a health care provider for accurate diagnosis the next time your recurrent scrotal sore shows up, preferably in the first day or two.

And don't worry about your cat.  

Happy holidays--  HHH, MD
thanks doc, at first I did not think it was genital herpes either, I went to a clinic and the doc there was not sure what it was he thought maybe a wart, but then after a couple days it turned into a yellowish blister that broke when i showered showing a  ulcer like sore that has no other explanation expect for genital herpes becuase it has come back around every 3 weeks since the first time just not as severe as it was then, but yes I have to get it checked out to be certain. It just scares me because the lesion on my arm started out as a whitish bump and now somewhat indented and is red with a slightly white center and looks very very similar to what the first outbreak looked like. I know worrying about a cat sounds silly, but I do not know how easy it is to give something like that to a cat assuming it is herpes.
I'm no expert but it still does not sound like herpes because of the frequency and location. You need to find out for sure via a culture and blood test. I'm guessing that it is a bacterial infection - perhaps recurrent folliculitis. Do you over exam the area, touching it regularily because this may increase occurence of infection. It could be other thins too - fungal infection. I would get the opinion of another doctor - GUM or Dermatologist. Good luck.
Man, you must really love that cat...
Pay no attention to the comment from Texas08.  It is unlikely you have herpes, and whatever is causing symptoms on Texas08's toe, knee and thumb, it isn't herpes.  

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Knee to genital herpes was started.
A related discussion, cinfused was started.