STDs Expert Forum
Discharge after urination

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Discharge after urination

Twice in the last two weeks I have felt pressure after urination and a small odorless discharge that looks milky white like semen has come out in a small drop or two.  I do not have discharge at other times, just the couple times after urination.  I do not feel any burning or pain in my penis, on occasion I feel an itch near the tip but I think I'm focusing on it so much part of the itching might be in my mind.

The only unprotected sexual activity I have had has been receiving oral sex on two different occasions in the past couple months.  Is discharge like this what you would see with an STD or do you feel this could be something else?
Welcome back to the Forum.  There are a number of things that the discharge you mention could be due to.  These could be normal urethral secretions which most men have but do not notice, signs of a prostate problems or an STD.  

While oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs the most common STDs coming from oral sex can have mild symptoms.  Gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are STDs most often acquired transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not.   A discharge is among the symptoms of urethritis (penile infection) and may not be noticeable all the time.  Your symptoms are a bit mild to be typical gonorrhea but they could be NGU.  My advice would be to get this checked out. You could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested at this time.  The tests should include not only tests for gonorrhea but tests for penile white blood cells on a swab taken from the penis or in a urine specimen collected just as you begin to urinate.  

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Thank you, one quick follow up since you mentioned Prostate.  I did have a bowel movement this afternoon and right after I had discharge that looked just like semen.  Do you think this is an indication of relation to a prostate problem vs. NGU?
Sometimes straining at stool can express prostatic fluid.  This may be what happened an if it is, it is normal and not something to worry about.  This occurs for most men but is typically un-noticed but csn be noticed when people are worried and on the look out for symptoms.  EWH