STDs Expert Forum
Discomfort after ejaculation

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Discomfort after ejaculation

Hello - I received unprotected oral sex (no intercourse involved) from a stranger and since then I started having the penis discharge. Visited the physician and the lab tests for GC and chlymidia came back negative in 4 days. Meanwhile I was put on 100 mg of doxycyclin for 7 days and was asked to come back only if the tests were positive. The discharge and the stinging stopped in a couple of days after taking the antibiotic. Neverthless I continued the medication and completed the course yesterday (07/23).
I haven't had any kind of sex with anyone since then but when I masturbate now, I experience a very slight discomfort(stinging) when I ejaculate and there is also a itchy feeling inside the penis for almost an hour after the ejaculation.
My questions are -
1)Is this normal after such an infection and will it go away in time or does this warrant another visit to my physician and any further tests?
2)Am I infectious at this stage? How long should I abstain from  sex as I don't want to spread any kind of infection. I use protection for intercourse but not for oral.

Any kind of advice would be helpful.
Thanks.
Probably you had nongonococcal urethritis (NGU).  When acquired from oral sex, chlamydia is never the cause; sometimes normal oral bacteria are the cause (i.e., there may have been no actual STD or other abnormal infection in your partner).  Doxycycline is one of the drugs of choice, so you were treated properly.

Since your discharge cleared up, most likely the infection is gone.  However, your continuing symptoms suggest a possibility of residual infection.  Or, more likely, residual inflammation without active infection.  Just as a sprained ankle may still ache from time to time long after the sprain seems to be entirely healed, genital discomfort sometimes follows infections, without necessarily meaning that active infection is persisting.  In any case, your symptoms are atypical; I have never heard of discomfort only after ejaculation.  It could be prostatitis or the male pelvic pain syndrome; the latter is likely due to spasm of pelvic muscles, as a reaction to past infection or as a manifestation of anxiety.

Most likely there is no need to abstain.  It is very unlikely you still have anything that could ever harm a sex partner; perhaps you never did.  (Those oral bacteria, even if they caused your initial NGU, probably would not be harmful to a partner.)   Most likely your symptoms will just fade with time.  But if they persist another couple weeks (or of course if discharge reappears), return to your health care provider for further evaluation. In the meantime, I doubt anything dangerous is going on.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your prompt reply. Will continue to monitor for another 2 weeks.
Thanks.