STDs Expert Forum
Do I have Urethritis?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Do I have Urethritis?

I had unprotected sex about 10 weeks ago.  The girl gave me oral sex and we had intercourse.  I tested for STD and was negative for Hepatitus (hepatitis) B&C, HIV, Herpes Simplex 2, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis.  I did test positive for Herpes Simplex 1; however.  They told me on the phone that this isn't sexually transmitted.  It is just oral herpes.  I do seem to have minor issues when urinating.  I seem to have to go more often and when I do my stream initially sprays like it would after having sex.  My urine seems to be more yellow in color than normal.  Lately it seems to be better than it was???

I have had one other partner since and she had signs of yeast infection, but it was proven negative.  She is still going thru further testing.  She has given 3-4 urine samples and they are trying to determine what kind of infection she may have.  Her symptoms are itching and discharge very similar to yeast infection.

I have not spoke to her about what I have and am not totally convinced I am just imagining this. What should I do next?
I'll try to help.  Urethritis might be a slight possibility, but on balance I doubt it.  Although transient spraying could reflect an infection, the sexually acquired urethritis infections (chlamydia, gonorrhea, nongonococcal urethritis [NGU]) do not cause increased urinary frequency or change in urine color.  In any case, the tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia are very reliable, so you can be sure they aren't the problem.  You should be on the lookout for scant discharge of mucus or pus, which might only be noticeable when you haven't urinated for several hours, e.g. when you first get up in the morning.  Or if not overt discharge, perhaps crusting around the urethral opening in the morning.  But with symptoms so subtle you aren't even sure they are real, I doubt you're going to see anything.

As for your partner, there are too many possible causes of symptoms that could mimic vaginal yeast infection for me to say anything more about it.  Most likely it's no STD at all.  Trichomonas is worth mentioning, however; it could explain both mild urethritis and yeast-like symptoms in women. Obviously, if an STD turns up in her additional tests, both she and you will have to be treated.    

If the urinary spraying persists, or if you see discharge or crusting (or if you continue to have doubts), you should return to your provider for evaluation; or visit your local health department STD clinic if you aren't confident your PCP is very familiar with STDs and the evaluation of possible urethritis.  But in the meantime, I really wouldn't worry about this.  The STDs that cause NGU (not counting chlamydia and gonorrhea) rarely cause serious health problems either in infected men or their partners, and generally clear up on their own, even without treatment.

Bottom line:  All things considered, it is unlikely you have anything important going on.  Await your partner's eventual diagnosis and consider getting rechecked if your symptoms persist.  

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD