Do symptoms/virus ever go away (gono/ chlamydia) w/out treatment?
I posted a few weeks back and thanks for your reply.  While I was waiting for my appointment at PP to come up, I was reading some other postings on this board, and two questions came to mind:

1) Do symptoms of gono/chlamydia ever show up, last for a few days, then disappear for good (while the virus stays with you)?  Or is the discharge/painful urination usually constant until treated?

2) I read where you referenced that these stds may have cleared up on their own, even within weeks in some cases.  I have never heard this before - I had always read that antibiotics are needed.  Are these viruses eventually attacked by your bodies defense systems and taken care of on their own?

I understand that someone should never "wait out" a possible illness and always get a check-up if at all at risk, but it seems that there may be some facts here that aren't always shared by the medical community.  

Thanks again for this service - it's really interesting and helpful.
Most infections in humans clear up on their own, including the bacterial STD.  In the pre-antibiotic era, "only" 10% of people with bacterial pneumonia died--a horribly high rate, but 90% cleared up.  Same for most STDs.  The viral STDs, like herpes and HIV, are exceptions; they last for life.  (Gonorrhea and chlamydia are bacteria, not viruses.)  Symptoms can come and go while the infection persists.  You're right--you don't want to rely on the infection going away on its own; before it does, it may cause serious complications, and also can be transmitted to partners.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Can results for gonorrea be wrong? was started.
A related discussion, please help was started.