STDs Expert Forum
Does regular vaginal culture test identify Chlamydia infection?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Does a regular vaginal culture test will identify Chlamydia infection ?

Or do I need to tell the Doctor to do a "Chlamydia specific vaginal culture test" ?

I would like to perform an IUI for having baby.  I am afraid a Chlamydia infected specimen (being inserted directly inserted into the upper uterus) will give me a Chlamydia infection.

With IUI as described above, the urinary tract might not be infected, but the uterus might be.  What will be the sympotoms then for Chlamydia infection in the upper uterus ?

Will the ovary become enlarged...?

Many Thanks!
If a provider just sends a vaginal specimen for culture, most labs will not test it for chlamydia.  A chlamydia test usually must be requested.  If you are at risk for STDs, you should ask your provider to test for both chlamydia and gonorrhea.  (The provider might be planning to do that anyway, but it is wise to be safe and make sure.)

You are right to be concerned.  Instrumentation of the uterus in the presence of a cervical chlamydial infection (or gonorrhea, for that matter) risks carrying the infection into the uterus.  If that happens, often there are no symptoms at all.  When symptoms occur, they are the same as for any uterine or tubal infection (endometritis or pelvic inflammatory disease [PID], respectively):  low abdominal pain and fever are the main symptoms.  The ovaries do not become enlarged, but serious cases can be associated with tubo-ovarian abscess, a serious complication.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Hi Doc,

If I do conceive and has Chlamydia infection in my uterus, would the baby get it before birth ?
Chlamydial infection prior to conception can interfere with conception.  In fact, some women who have trouble conceiving and are suspected to have chlamydia are able to become pregnant after treatment for chlamydial infection.  And in general any infection in the uterus is potentially harmful to an early pregnancy--although I am not aware chlamydia has been shown to be a problem at that stage.  If a woman still has chlamydia late in pregnancy (or if she acquires it during pregnancy), the baby can get infection of the eyes or pneumonia.

HHH, MD
Hi Doc,

Could the baby be cured by taking antibotics after birth ?

or before birth ?

Many Thanks!